How soon can I do stairs? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How soon can I do stairs? How soon can I do stairs?

Unread 01-07-2002, 11:49 AM
How soon can I do stairs?

Thanks so much for the quick replies to my last post!

How soon after surgery can you usually do stairs? I am trying to decide where to be in the house when I come home from the "castle" (love that term). Don't want to be too far away from my computer!!

Thanks!
The only downside to this site is I would rather be here than doing all the things I was going to do to get the house ready before I go to the hospital! It is addicting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2002, 11:58 AM

Hi There!

Great Question! It's possible that you can deal with stairs very soon/immediately, as long as you are very, very super-careful, and do not brave those stairs very often. I think you're smart to plan where you might be doing most of your convalescing so that you won't have to go up and down the stairs much. Not only is it important that you're careful not to pull anything, but as your body and brain are flooded with all the meds and anesthesia, being physically unstable could lend itself to tripping or falling, God forbid.

Check with the DR as you leave the castle, after your surgery is over and s/he knows what was really involved in the OR.... sometimes DRs can be very specific about these things based on what they know had to be done in your surgery.

Best wishes, and big s!
Unread 01-07-2002, 01:02 PM

Susie,

After I returned home from my TAH, I climbed the stairs in my home immediately. I just took them nice and slow.

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2002, 01:40 PM

Hi Suzie,
Ask your doc when he allows stair climbing. My doc allowed stairs the day home from the castle if taken slowly and infrequently. I had someone walk with me the first two days as I didn't trust myself and was afraid of dizziness developing midflight. Just a bit of paranoia, but I never fell.
Wilma
Unread 01-07-2002, 02:45 PM

I didn't have a choice and had to climb stairs right away. I only have one bathroom and its upstairs, I stayed upstairs the first week. After that I limited my trips up and down stairs to once a day, twice, etc as I felt better. Best wishes.
Unread 01-07-2002, 03:02 PM

I think common sense is the key here. I kept my stair activities to a bare minimum for a few days. After that, I had no problems with them, but still avoided using them too much for a couple of weeks anyway. All the best to You!
Unread 01-07-2002, 03:31 PM

hi susie
I climbed stairs as soon as i got home, due to bathroom being upstairs but for first day had DH just stay behind me just in case..
but was fine....just took it really really slow....and tried to limit going up and down stairs for a while, not easy, Made me realize how many times aday you do go up and down stairs!!! so take it slow and you will be fine.
I love the "castle" term too!

s
Unread 01-08-2002, 10:03 AM

I went up and down the stairs about 2-3 times a day from day3 to day 6, then I think it averaged more like 4-5 times a day. I was surprised to find that it hurt more coming down the stairs than it did going up them, so watch out for that.
Unread 01-08-2002, 01:40 PM

your doctor may or may not have an answer for you on this question before the surgery, but I'd gie it a shot and ask them anyway. I was not sent home from the castle with stair restrictions, yet did have them with my other abdominal surgeries. Now, that is not to say I went up n down all day since I have no stairs, but een if I did, I know I sure as heck would not have felt like going up em!

I have seen posts from ladies on here who recommend going up them sideways and it's a little easier on your body. Seems like a pretty good tip!

BSQ

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register