Day one post hysterectomy - lots of pain! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Day one post  hysterectomy - lots of pain! Day one post hysterectomy - lots of pain!

Unread 11-13-2015, 02:47 PM
Day one post hysterectomy - lots of pain!

I had laproscopic partial yesterday. They took the tubes and uterus and left the ovaries and it went without a hitch. Surgery was at 11:30 and I was discharged at 6:30 feeling pretty great until around 2 am when everything wore off.

I was prescribed oxcycodone and acetaminophen and it makes me feel relaxed but doesn't take away the sharp pain In my belly button and surrounding area at all?? I called the nurse and asked her to prescribe me something else. She said she would and my husband drove 45 miles round trip to pic up the new script. Turns out- she wrote the exact same script!!! Aargh!!! They say it's Percocet and the strongest thing out there, but it does nothing for me to alleviate pain. I sure hope this goes away soon. Have bad gas bloat and no BM yet. I felt like a champ yesterday and a mess today :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Day one post hysterectomy - lots of pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinAussie View Post
I had laproscopic partial yesterday. They took the tubes and uterus and left the ovaries and it went without a hitch. Surgery was at 11:30 and I was discharged at 6:30 feeling pretty great until around 2 am when everything wore off.

I was prescribed oxcycodone and acetaminophen and it makes me feel relaxed but doesn't take away the sharp pain In my belly button and surrounding area at all?? I called the nurse and asked her to prescribe me something else. She said she would and my husband drove 45 miles round trip to pic up the new script. Turns out- she wrote the exact same script!!! Aargh!!! They say it's Percocet and the strongest thing out there, but it does nothing for me to alleviate pain. I sure hope this goes away soon. Have bad gas bloat and no BM yet. I felt like a champ yesterday and a mess today :-(
I can completely relate. I did horribly with the percocet!!! I just felt dizzy, nauseous, and the pain was untouched by it. The second drug for pain is hydromorhone. It has helped the pain a bit more than the other but not entirely.
The worst part of the surgery was actually the post-op- I just couldn't pee and they had to put the cath back in...the first girl that
Tried failed miserably...she actually poked me in the very sore vagina. They took it out 6 rs later and I finally went on my own. They let me leave without a bm thank goodness! Still haven't produced, but have hardly eaten.
I was up all night (every 30 min) to pee and probably over did it by getting up so much.
I had a lavh/ bso on 11/11 -- hope i got those acronyms correct.
Unread 11-13-2015, 03:13 PM
Re: Day one post op- lots of pain!

I am so sorry for your pain! Its normal to have it the day after surgery. I am surprised they sent you home so soon. They kept me till the following afternoon and before I left the hospital gave me one last dose of Toradol in my IV, which seemed to be very effective. You can also get that in pill form. Its effective, or at least it was for me, and you don't get the narcotic side effects. Another option, similar to Toradol would be prescription strength Motrin or Advil.

You should be feeling much better by the second and third day. Everyone is different, but the third day was a positive turning point for me with pain, soreness and nausea.

Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2015, 03:48 PM
Re: Day one post op- lots of pain!

Hi ladies- thanks for the feedback and makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one that the mess aren't working for. I felt great post op, drank tons of fluids, filled my catheter bag, had it removed and urinated on my own twice before leaving. They said I was one tough cookie. Well I'm crumbling today I guess. Besty, I'm sorry to hear about the catheter- that's awful!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register