Musical instruments and post-op recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Musical instruments and post-op recovery Musical instruments and post-op recovery

Unread 10-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Musical instruments and post-op recovery

Apologies if this seems like a strange question, but is there any reason not to play an instrument, a violin say, during the post-op recovery period?

I asked a lot of questions at my recent post-op visit but forgot to ask this one.

I am concerned that I may not have healed as fast as I thought, due to extended activity restrictions, so I want to be really careful...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2008, 08:35 PM

Another person on this site told us about Belleruth Naperstek and music for surgery, recovery, menopause, guided imagery, general wellness, etc. . I purchased some and downloaded them prior to surgery and I LOVE THEM. I listen to them whenever I lie down and focus on healing with visualization. Sometimes I have insomnia and it is great to use. I always feel relaxed and like I am doing something to improve. I downloaded them onto my Ipod and listened to them in the hospital and the noise and people did not disturb me. I believe in the power of music. You are right to be very careful and heal. One of the tips was to breathe in and think "Heal" and breathe out and think "clear". I hope this helps.

Tonya10
Unread 10-03-2008, 08:56 PM

Tonya10 - thanks for your response; I will look for the Naperstek music.
But, I was also wondering if it would be o.k. to play instruments ourselves (as a hobby) during the post-op period. I have a violin, it's not heavy, but I was wondering about the position needed to play it - hoisting it up on the shoulder, and etc.

(I will try the 'heal' 'clear' exercise too, so thanks for the tip!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2008, 08:23 AM

hi bwonk - i play classical piano, but haven't played yet, i hardly have any energy
i'm actually planning to take fiddle lessons soon!
for piano - i know that my back would ache badly if i played now, since i use my back and shoulder muscles as much as, if not more, than my arm muscles to play...i'm not sure if i use my stomach muscles much?

anyway, i don't know what your activity restrictions are, but you could give it a try...just stop if you feel any discomfort! also, maybe you could play like i see some fiddlers play, just holding the violin loosely and not under the chin

i was trained in a "no pain, no gain" philosophy, and I've paid for that over the years with chronic tendonitis in my right hand...it's so hard for me to stop when I feel pain since I have this deeply ingrained message that being in pain means I'm doing good work
so i'm avoiding piano for a while because I know I'll be bad and play for too long!!!!
Unread 10-04-2008, 04:27 PM

Voo, you sound much more disciplined than I!

I have been playing my violin on and off again, not too much, but the last time my back muscles tired more quickly than usual. I wouldn't worry about it except that my recovery period was just extended for 3 more weeks so I have been trying to figure out if there are things I was doing that I should not have been doing during the first 4 weeks!

Fiddle lessons sound great! I think you will really enjoy them...
Unread 10-04-2008, 08:09 PM

Hi ladies

I think that I would be careful playing any musical instrument during the first 6 weeks. I taught instrumental music in the public school system and know first hand that we tend to use muscles that we may not even think about.

While there is a difference between wind instruments and string instruments, there is still a level of passion that exists as we play.

Enjoy your violin and be careful!!!
Unread 10-04-2008, 08:53 PM

During a workshop on laughter and humor, the speaker told us that if we would watch a humorous show or read a book that made us laugh, it would help the healing process. Laughter is great medicine. Maybe instead of playing musical instruments you could read a good book that would make you laugh, watch a comedy, etc to improve your health and heal quicker.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register