Pain management the first night 0-0 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain management the first night 0-0 Pain management the first night 0-0

Unread 06-20-2013, 12:15 AM
Pain management the first night 0-0

Hi guys, I had my full laproscopic hysterectomy this morning. I was able to go home around dinner time. I was given Tylenol with codeine 3, but it I am not doing so well pain wise. I am allergic to Vicodin, so I am thinking about trying the 800 mg of ibuprophen after the Tylenol codeine works out of my system. Anybody out there that is doing better with ibuprophen?

P.s. I love the abdominal brace, that and a heating pad have helped a ton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2013, 01:57 AM
Re: Pain management the first night 0-0

Hi Didome3,

Welcome to the other side! I'm sorry you are having a tough time with pain. My doctor told me to take the ibuprofen with the prescription painkillers. He just told me to make sure not to take tylenol. I think the ibuprofen (800mg) helped me more than the narcotics. Give your doc a call and ask if you can take them together and also let him know the Tylenol 3 isn't really taking care of the pain. There are other painkillers out there besides Vicodin. Hope you get some relief soon! I loved my heating pad too.
Unread 06-20-2013, 04:35 AM

You were out of hospital the same day???? I spent 3 days in hospital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2013, 05:06 AM

For me Paracetamol and Ibuprofen did the trick because you can take them in combination.
Like take your 2 Paracetamol, note down the time you took them and 2 hours later you can take your Ibuprofen.
Unread 06-20-2013, 11:47 AM

Welcome to the other side, sister! My pain was managed the first week with alternating doses of 800mg ibuprofen and 7.5mg hydrocodone. The hydrocodone was making me nauseous so I stopped taking it on day 5 post-op. I continued the 800mg ibuprofen every 8 hours for the second week. By week 3 I was taking the ibuprofen only as needed, and now at 4.5 weeks I'm completely off pain meds unless I over do it and need it for restful sleep. Hope you are able to find something to manage your pain so that your body can focus on healing! Gentle hugs to you on your road to recovery!
Unread 06-20-2013, 11:50 AM

Often you can cross pain meds (one at one time, then a couple hours later the other type) as long as they don't contain similar ingredients.

Your best bet here is to contact your doctor's office about this to get whatever is needed to help you out. When you are in pain, your body fights pain instead of healing - so pain is not your friend.
Unread 06-20-2013, 03:37 PM

I had mine done on Monday and came home this Tuesday. All they gave me for pain is valium because they say when i am on other meds that make me sleepy I don't breathe well. Well the valium does not do anything but make me sleep. So luckily I still have tramadol left from before my surgery. So I am taking the tramadol every 6 hours and 800mg of ibuprofen every 4 hours and it seems to help. I hope you can find something to help your pain. Also heating pad works too, my husband made me one with a sock and rice.
Unread 06-20-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetraR View Post
For me Paracetamol and Ibuprofen did the trick because you can take them in combination.
Like take your 2 Paracetamol, note down the time you took them and 2 hours later you can take your Ibuprofen.
The medication that's called paracetamol in the UK is called acetaminophen in North America - it's the active ingredient in Tylenol.

Besides ibuprofen, you can try naproxen (marketed as Aleve). Like ibuprofen, it's an NSAID, but sometimes naproxen works where ibuprofen doesn't.
Unread 06-20-2013, 05:17 PM

I am allergic to pain meds and found that ibuprofen and muscle relaxers helped the most. I would call your doc because he may have another pain med option for you. Sorry you are having such a problem with the pain. Hope you feel better

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register