Lifting restrictions? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lifting restrictions? Lifting restrictions?

Unread 10-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Lifting restrictions?

Has anyone been given lifting restrictions? I keep having vaginal pressure (the only way I can think of describing it) and I am worried about lifting anytime soon. I had a BSO/TAH with cervix removal.

Thank you, this site has given me more information then I ever received from any doctors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Re: Lifting restrictions?

Hi!

When I had my TAH/BSO, my doctor's orders were to lift nothing heavier than a gallon of milk during the initial recovery. If your doctor didn't specify, it would be a good idea to ask what your limits are.

Unread 10-09-2009, 10:30 AM

I think the majority of us were given lifting restrictions after our surgery. Usually the restrictions are for 6-8 weeks and for nothing more than 10 lbs, but it can vary. Based on your surgery date, you should be okay by now though unless you've had some complications. Weren't you given any restrictions after your surgery? Did you have a post-op check yet to clear you for things? If not, you should probably call your dr. and ask what they recommend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2009, 10:54 AM

Thank you. I'll call to ask if any further restrictions are necessary.
Unread 10-09-2009, 11:07 AM

DMF,
I just came back from my 6week appointment (before going back to work). Lifting restrictions are off, but I was advised to have common sense when lifting during the next 2-3 months. Same apply for vigorous exercise. Just listen to your body and do not lift heavy items if it would make you incomfortable.
Hugs
Unread 11-17-2009, 01:59 PM

Help, please... I just came back from my one week post-op surgeons visit, and I was told I could NEVER lift anything heavier than a bowling ball again.

I had a total hysterectomy (laparascopic) with cervix and ovary removal.

If I had been told I would never be able to lift anything again, I would never have done this. One of the most enjoyable things I do is go hiking and camping, and I can never again carry a backpack.

I am devasted to find this out......

Does anyone know anything about this kind of restriction?

Thanks,
Nadine
Unread 11-17-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadines View Post
Help, please... I just came back from my one week post-op surgeons visit, and I was told I could NEVER lift anything heavier than a bowling ball again.

I had a total hysterectomy (laparascopic) with cervix and ovary removal.

If I had been told I would never be able to lift anything again, I would never have done this. One of the most enjoyable things I do is go hiking and camping, and I can never again carry a backpack.

I am devasted to find this out......

Does anyone know anything about this kind of restriction?

Thanks,
Nadine
That makes no sense to me. Not only was I never told anything like that but neither has anyone I know who's had a hysterectomy. I don't want to dispute your dr. but perhaps he/she was being overly cautious. Did they mention how heavy of a bowling ball?
Unread 11-17-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catarina View Post
That makes no sense to me. Not only was I never told anything like that but neither has anyone I know who's had a hysterectomy. I don't want to dispute your dr. but perhaps he/she was being overly cautious. Did they mention how heavy of a bowling ball?
Cathy,

Thanks for your quick response. No - he didn't give me a weight - he just said I should never lift anything heavier than a bowling ball, period.

Unfortunately, the only information (other than the surgeon) I have is what I have read and researched online, and I never saw any permanent lifting restrictions.

I'm devastated to think that this is a possibility for the rest of my life. I live alone, and cannot imagine having to depend on other people to do things I have been doing all my life. I am only 49!
Unread 11-17-2009, 02:39 PM

Nadine - All I can tell you is that when I was released to go back to the gym at 6 weeks, I had no restrictions. My dr. knows I workout with weights and I use weight stacks of 30-50 lbs when I do. I don't want to tell you to disregard what your surgeon said but perhaps you could ask your gp to confirm the information for you. If I were you, I would not be panicking at this point. I'd want more information on why he said this and is it specific to you or does he tell every post-op hysterectomy patient the same thing.
Unread 11-17-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catarina View Post
Nadine - All I can tell you is that when I was released to go back to the gym at 6 weeks, I had no restrictions. My dr. knows I workout with weights and I use weight stacks of 30-50 lbs when I do. I don't want to tell you to disregard what your surgeon said but perhaps you could ask your gp to confirm the information for you. If I were you, I would not be panicking at this point. I'd want more information on why he said this and is it specific to you or does he tell every post-op hysterectomy patient the same thing.
I'll call my gp first thing in the morning. I am also going to speak with the surgeon's nurse to find out if he tells everyone the same thing, or if there was a specific reason he told me this. I'm also going to ask her if he is ultra-conservative - that may also be an issue.

I'll post more when I find out anything new.

Thanks,
Nadine

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register