More drugs, please? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

More drugs, please? More drugs, please?

Unread 10-22-2009, 06:07 AM
More drugs, please?

I go today, in about 90 minutes actually, to have my staples removed. I am still having tons of pain & discomfort. The 600mg Ibuprofen doesn't seem to help much if at all. The only thing that gives me relief from the owies is the percocet.

Am I crazy? I want to go to the doc today & ask for another prescription for percocet but I don't want to sound like a drug-seeking freak.

Anyone else need to get extra of "the good stuff" after a week of recovery? How did you ask your doc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2009, 06:20 AM
Re: More drugs, please?

Just tell him that the ibuprofen is not working for the pain and ask him for something stronger. It's only been a week since your surgery. I was still on percocet three weeks post not as many but still on them.
Unread 10-22-2009, 06:42 AM

I had a total pelvic exenteration and I'm in week 14 of post op. I still need the percocet. You are only 1 week post op. I need one to get out of bed becausie I am in alot of pain and I need one prior to bed. I have to dilate myself in the morning and evening and they make it bearable to do the dilation. You definately do not sound like a drug seeker. Now if you went thru a scrip in a very short period of time and repeatedly went to the dr. sooner than you should for a refll, then that might look suspicious or it just might mean you need another type of med for your pain. This is a major op, so being only 1 week post op I'm not surprised you would still need extra help with the pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2009, 07:30 AM

I am taking Vicodin and sometimes it too, doesn't feel like it's doing the trick. Just be honest with your doctor- they have been through this with many patients, they know how to spot the ones that are just "seeking" as they call it.
No worries, remember?
Unread 10-22-2009, 09:36 AM

I had a dVH/RALH a month ago yesterday. When I went to my 2 week post-op my doctor asked me if I needed more pain meds. I told him. Most doctors know that this a painful surgery. I would ask.
Unread 10-22-2009, 09:56 AM

I was on pain meds for at least the first 2 or 3 weeks!! and if something was not working well for me I made a call into my dr's nurse and she worked with me to find something that did never be worried to tell them something is not working for you
Unread 10-22-2009, 10:40 AM

I had my first appt at the 6 day point and had just taken the last of my pain pills. I was super nervous about asking for another script too. I kept thinking that if he said "no", I'd burst into tears. He didn't though. He gave me another script and 1 refill . I started needing less after the 1st week and by week 2, I rarely needed anything more than the 800mg ibuprofen.
Unread 10-22-2009, 11:15 AM

Please don't feel bad about asking for something more for pain... I was given a script for Dilaudid 2mg q 4 hrs and that didn't do the trick for me... I totally thought something was wrong with me and was scared to ask for something more...

I did the next day and my dr. was AWESOME! She gave me Lortab 7.5/500mg and it has done the trick... I usuallt alternate between the two...

I don't know how u girls do it with just Motrin... hats off to you! Either I'm a wimp or I just needed a little more to get thru... everyone experiences pain differently and if you have a good dr.. they know this and realize you aren't "drug seeking".

Good luck!

TVH 10-14-09
Unread 10-22-2009, 01:02 PM

I felt the same way when I went in to have my staples removed. I was so afraid that the doctor would think that all I wanted was drugs and that he might think I was faking the pain. But to my surprise he had no problem refilling my Norco. I wouldn't worrie about it. You are still in alot of pain and the doctor knows this. I don't see why you wouldn't walk out with more medication.
Happy Healing
Unread 10-22-2009, 02:53 PM

I had a TAH and was on percoset for about 2 1/2 weeks. Felt SOOO much better after all the staples were out though!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register