what to take to the hospital | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what to take to the hospital what to take to the hospital

Unread 02-04-2009, 05:48 AM
what to take to the hospital

What are things that you wish you had brought or things you thought you would use that you didn't need?

I am having my surgery on the 18th and need to start thinking about what to pack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2009, 06:05 AM

Here's a list of suggestions for what to take to the hospital:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_96849.htm

I actually used very little of what I took. I wore the hospital gowns ( 2 at a time ), my slippers and robe to go home in, chap stick, hair & tooth brushes, my own bed pillow, tummy pillow and some ear plugs - not much more. I had no concentration and didn't read the books that I took, used the tv there for entertainment ( that I mostly slept through ).

Best wishes.

Unread 02-04-2009, 06:10 AM

Thanks, yeah I am trying to pack light so that I can send the small suitcase with my son who will need more then I need
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2009, 07:08 AM

I took nothing with me

Denise
Unread 02-04-2009, 07:50 AM

I wore the same clothes home that I wore to the hospital. If I were to repack for my hospital stay my bag would be lighter. I would pack a pair of oversized pajama bottoms and a big T-shirt. Underwear, toothbrush, hairbrush, pantyliners, slippers, no water hair cleaner, mints, i-pod (maybe), cell phone.
I stayed 3 nights after LAVH, I was not cleared for showers so my whole shower bag was a waste. I slept most of the time so I never considered reading anything (the menu was more than enough). With the IV you really can not wear tops so the hospital gowns work best.
The hospital provides all basic necessities, so technically you do not need to bring anything at all.
Good luck
Unread 02-04-2009, 07:54 AM

I took a few things that were very useful. The hospital warned me that the food wasn't the same calibre as what I usually eat, so I took bottled water, small applesauce (like you get for lunch boxes), and a Greens First protein shake for the day after. That was a good call, because the breakfast they sent the next day was awful.

The day of the surgery I just wore the hospital gown, since they didn't get me out of bed except to "dangle" my legs off the side and then stand by the bed for a while. The day after surgery, when my catheter came out, I was up and walking.

I had pajamas that I wore the day after for walking around the hospital ward, and I used the hospital slipper socks. I brought a comfortable and soft lounging outfit to wear home, and clean socks and underwear. I just washed up the day after, and decided to shower at home where I was more comfortable.

I think there was a magazine in my bag, but I never read it. I brought my Ipod, and I did listen to some relaxing instrumental music during a nap. DH says I watched tv for an hour or two, but mostly just talked with him and my daughter in between frequent bouts of sleeping.

DaVinci RAVH + BSO 1/2/09
Unread 02-04-2009, 09:51 AM

I took several things, but there were only three things I needed:

--chapstick
--iPod
--clean underwear for the trip home (I wore the same clothes to and from the hospital)

If I'd been in longer than one night, I might have wanted my laptop as well, but I wished I'd packed lighter than I did.
Unread 02-04-2009, 10:25 AM

I had my bag packed thinking I was going for op this Tuesday but it got cancelled as I have bronchitis. This is what I have in a small rolling suitcase:
- 2 big t-shirt nighties and disposable panties and pads
- tummy pillow and own pillow from home
- chapstick and a moisturizer/body lotion
- backscratcher
- non-slip slippers and socks
- toiletries and hair brush
- MP3 player full of meditation music and Heal Faster recording
- prescriptions and supplements from home
- cell phone
- notebook and pens
- thank you cards and big bag of candy for staff
- no-water hair wash
- one book to read
Unread 02-04-2009, 12:16 PM

A note book is a must have, just to jot down any info the nurse or doctor might give you (believe me you will forget), flip flops to wear in the shower (not the cleanest of places) and a knee length house coat for the strolls around the floor. Chap Stick and Life Savers, or other mints are also a must. I wore my own night gown from the morning after surgery until I went home. I also wore the same clothes home that I wore into the hospital. Except for a tooth brush, tooth paste and a hair brush I did not really need anything else.

Good luck and all the best for your surgery.
Unread 02-04-2009, 12:29 PM

I am so glad I posted this. I really think I can fit everything I need in a bookbag!

The notebook is a great idea since my Dh will be with me and he is so forgetful! having everything written down will be a big help.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register