Making the surgery decision... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Making the surgery decision... Making the surgery decision...

Unread 05-10-2001, 06:17 PM
Making the surgery decision...

I have read many posts on this Pre-Op board about women who are still a little unsure about whether or not they should have a hysterectomy. I've gone through some heavy thinking the past few days, and I'd like to share. This is really long. But I just feel like I really need to be a part of "women helping women"!

Just so you'll know where I'm coming from: I'm 48 and probably perimenopausal. I thought I was having hot flashes, but after having a thyroid test, realized that my thyroid was the problem. Hot flashes just do not LAST ALL DAY! I have had several bouts of "never-ending" periods over the past few years. Not every month, though. When that does happen, the only thing that stops me is drug intervention. This last time it took 3 BC pills a day for several days. I have bled to anemia twice in the past 2 years. My periods have gotten noticeably heavier with large clots the past 2-3 years. I do NOT suffer the terrible pain that so many of you describe. I do have times where I'd swear something is twisting my right ovary, though. This past month, I did have really awful pain for about a day and half. Two years ago an ultra-sound showed a fibroid. Another ultra sound a few weeks ago showed the fibroid again. I've had 2 endometrial biopsies, which were fine. I've also had an hysteroscopy and D&C within the past month since I had one of those "never-ending periods" going to anemia in February and March.

I have been really doing a lot of thinking about my alternatives, and also becoming super-informed by this site.

I was definitely leaning toward "get this out! I'm tired of it! It's only causing problems", etc. But then I would think about other people's posts and think that maybe I wasn't so bad off. After all this is MAJOR surgery!!!!!! Should I really encourage, demand, request it? And if I didn't, wouldn't I feel really dumb coming back to HysterSisters? (This is the SUPER DUMB part!)

Well, my gyn, my DH, and I have decided that surgery is not the answer, at least for now. And I'm very secure with that decision. If it hadn't been for this site, which I truly treasure, I wouldn't be as informed as I am. And believe me, I understand the doc when he tells me stuff now--amazing!! The gyn has recommend a trial of progesterone for at least 3 months. He said there are indications of adenmyosis, but there's no way to really tell except through pathology after a hysterectomy. If, however, at 2 months I can't stand it anymore, he said, we could go on to the next step of discussing surgery.

When we were on our way home last night, I had such a sense of well-being. I began to think about trying to get back to working out (which I'd suspended when the period from heck came again ). I thought about working on losing weight, again. Trust me, thinking those two things are a definite indication that I was really feelin' good! I have also felt better since my D&C, which I don't completely understand.

Anyway, so often others will come to the Pre-Op board wondering about delaying the surgery and/or trying other things before actually saying "yes" to the surgery, and the advice is usually the same from the Sisters--surgery is THE "final answer". If you have any other possibilities, definitely try them! If they don't work, surgery is always there. Cool.

This site is filled with compassionate, kind, KNOWLEDGEABLE women! Without you all, I am convinced I wouldn't feel so good about my decision!

It's possible that I may end up being a true "HysterSister" sometime. I'm glad to know this site is here to support me if EVER I need it. I was cruising around the Hormone Jungle last night, trying to find out all I could about progesterone. So either way, what a winner you all have made me!

I am grateful and indebted to you all. Thank you...thank you very much!

Much love, hugs, and prayers for peaceful decisions, skilled surgery, and soothing recuperation to you all.

Jeannie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2001, 07:08 PM

Jeannie, what a wonderful tribute to the wonderful women on this site. You are always welcome here. You are doing right thing for yourself and yes, there is always a hyst later if you decide it is needed but once its done there is no going back. I wish you best of luck and come back every now and again and let us know how you are doing.
Unread 05-10-2001, 07:34 PM
to surgery or not

Ttomorrow will be the one week anniversary of my surgery. I highly recommend that a woman exhaust ALL alternatives before taking this plunge. I was totally unprpared for the post op pain. I do not recommend surgery unless it is a lst resort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2001, 08:00 PM

What a wonderful post! I am so glad you were able to find the information you needed in order to make the best decision for YOU!

You are ALWAYS welcome here - hyst or no!
Unread 05-10-2001, 08:26 PM
Jeannie....

This is what its all about....helping each other! I am so happy you posted this lovely tribute.

If you ever need any info on fibroids or adeno I have some wonderful links. Just post for me or email me and I will make sure you get them.

I wish you lots of angels during your journey to wellness!

{{{{{{{{{healing hugs}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 05-11-2001, 11:26 AM
Good for you!

I'm so glad you're at "peace" now. Making a decision (no matter what it is) is always the hardest part! I'm so glad that you found us, and please come back and share you experiences. Let us know if the progesterone works. If it doesn't...we'll still be here ready with virtual raspberry tea, chocolate, hugs, and a warm quilt.

Knowledge really is power, huh?

Me several months ago -------------- All the sisters
-------------------------------------
Unread 05-11-2001, 12:20 PM

This post is very much what Hystersisters is about! I am sure it will help many people who are feeling lost in the decision making process. As Angie wrote, please let us know how the progesterone treatments are going. This will provide great information on an option that we have not seen all that often. Thank you for sharing this with everyone.
Unread 05-11-2001, 12:31 PM

Jeannie, I am so glad you are so at peace with your decision. I was also given options to try. I tried several different types of HRT and a D&C. In my case nothing really helped. I wasn't in a lot of pain, but the heavy prolonged bleeding each month was starting to affect every thing that I did. I was never sorry that I tried the other options, except that I feel so good now, that I sometimes wonder why I waited so long. It is a good feeling though to know that I tried all the less evasive options and took the most final approach last. You will be welcomed back here anytime, you know that. Plus your insite on trying the other options will help other ladies who are struggling with the same decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register