How much advise did hospital give you? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much advise did hospital give you? How much advise did hospital give you?

Unread 02-25-2011, 08:49 AM
How much advise did hospital give you?

Hi guys.

Can I ask if the hospital (I'm in UK) gave you much advise before discharging you?

I had very little really other than not to lift anything heavy or drive for 6 weeks. I've had no aftercare, my dressing has been changed by my mother and no follow up appointment for 6 weeks. Is your care much better????

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Re: How much advise did hospital give you?

Mine sucked, I've been thinking thank god I'm a nurse and also have this site for reference as well. My dr provided more pre op so that was good.
Unread 02-25-2011, 09:59 AM

Tituba...did you have a abdominal hysterectomy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2011, 10:29 AM

I was given a leaflet of information (Discharge Information following major gynaecological surgery) and a 10minute chat with the nurse to go through the standard hospital discharge form - basically, covering off what I should and shouldn't do and giving me a number to call if I needed help or advice. But then I was lucky enough to have the surgery on private medical insurance, and stayed in hospital for 6 nights, so I had plenty of opportunities to ask the nurses and physios any questions. But apart from not lifting any heavy weights, no driving, no bending/stretching and making sure I get loads of rest, there wasn't much else said.
Unread 02-25-2011, 07:04 PM

I got a pamphlet both before and after surgery as well as a list of written instructions. I also got verbal instructions from the doctor and the nurse.. no lifting anything heavier than 5 lbs for 6 weeks, no stairs for 2 weeks, no driving for at least 2 weeks, and no sex until after post-op. Incision care was to let soapy shower water run over it and to pat dry. Let steri-strips fall off on their own and to call office if the incision got red, weepy, smelly, hot or infected. Oh, and to walk as much as possible but not to over do it when I asked my doctor when I could start walking several kilometers. I was also told that bending was okay. Humm... looks like I got more instructions than I thought I did.
Unread 02-25-2011, 07:26 PM

LAVH/BSO my surgery was elective due to positive BRCA. I don't think anyone cared because I wasn't "sick". I got very little info from my friends and doctor. I got a pamphlet in the mail and instructions before the surgery. Upon dismissal the nurse skimmed a few things pretty quickly. Got me a wheel chair and walked out of the room. This site has given me more information than anyone.
Unread 02-25-2011, 08:08 PM

My doctor gave me no instructions other than to see her on Feb 15 and when i called to confirm her nurse told me come in on the 16 of Feb, the nurse is the one who gave me instructions on what and what not to do, we went over a general pamphlet, same as a previous sister commented, no driving for 2wks, let the soapy water run on the stitches, steristrips should come off by themselves which they didn't (that was some good glue) doctor removed them during followup visit, no lifting over 5lbs, no going up and down stairs if possible, had to walk upstairs to get into my house (20 steps) didn't feel no pain walking up them, could have been the 2 vicodin received before leaving the hospital
Unread 02-25-2011, 10:53 PM

I was advised to not lift anything over 10 or 20 lbs, was told nothing about steps, was initially told not to drive for 6 weeks (that changed to 3). I was also told to see my surgeon about a month after the surgery.
Unread 02-26-2011, 02:32 AM

Hi, I'm in France and I had no information except rest all my info comes from my mum who had a TAH 20 yrs ago.I had a scary discharge the day after I got out of hospital and I wasn't warned at all, when I spoke to the surgeon at my 1st post op he told me it was normal and could happen again with stitches melting etc.While I was in the hospital they had a tendence to tell me things after I had done them wrong. Theorectically I have to back to work the first week in march but I have a really heavy job so I hope I can convince the doctor to give me a bit more time. I drove quite far yesterday and I'm really suffering today I don't know how I can go from not doing the hoovering to being able to move around heavy wieghts in two weeks time Keep well everyone !
Unread 02-26-2011, 07:26 AM

I've had a one week checkup, scheduled for a three week checkup and then will have a 6 weeks checkup...and apparently an 8 week if needed. Then a 6 month out exam.

My Doc has been excellent. She talked to me after the surgery and checked on me the next morning before I left with a list of don't. Nothing over 10lbs lifted.Stairs were ok after a few days if done with caution and not to excess. After one week I was cleared for walking and eliptical workouts if I didn't "push" it. Long and slow if I wanted. Cleared to plant flowers/veggies, as long as others did the major labor. Cleared to drive after one week, but mentioned that I should limit all "non-essential" driving. NOt allowed to go the grocery store "unattended." She's afraid I'll try to lift something.

I have to say I 've been extremely pleased by the skill of my surgeon to have removed such a huge mass with robots and her attentiveness after the surgery.
The nurses at the hopital between Midnight and 7am were horrible. One had a think Latin accent, the other, an intern, had a thick Asian Accent and they couldn't understand each other.They were grumpy and hostile all night...But that was the only negative I can think of.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register