Feeling anxious about my surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Feeling anxious about my surgery Feeling anxious about my surgery

Unread 08-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Feeling anxious about my surgery

Hi,

I have my surgery date for September 7th and I am feeling very anxious and teary.

I'm not sure what to expect once my surgery is done, it's a full hysterectomy.

Can any one enlighten me on their own experience.

Much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2012, 05:10 PM
Re: Feeling anxious about my surgery

I have no experience as my surgery is the 27th but I can tell you your not alone if the anxiousness.
Unread 08-15-2012, 05:35 PM

Hello himmelray
Being nervous and anxious is understandable and normal. I had a TAH 4 months ago. I had my uterus, cervix and part of my Fallopian tubes removed andominally and I kept my ovaries. This surgery was one of the best things that has ever happened to me. It has improved my quality of life tremendously. If you look on this site's pre op checkpoints you can learn a lot about what to expect at each stage leading up to your surgery and weekly post op checkpoints also.
I know you are having a total hysterectomy, but I can't see what type. It 'll help in finding the information that you need. You'll find all kinds of support here.

Lots of ((HUGS)) to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2012, 08:09 PM

himmerlay -

Feeling anxious and emotional is normal for this surgery. I remember I a few times before my surgery and many more times after.

I had a TAH BSO (total abdominal hysterectomy and removal of both tubes and ovaries) at age 46. I was very exhausted for several weeks after my surgery. Just taking a shower and getting to the couch was an accomplishment. Just taking a short 100 yard walk would wear me out (and I was in shape). I was also very emotional for many weeks. I took 3 weeks off work (desk job), then could only go back part time for 4 more weeks and that was TOUGH TOUGH TOUGH! After that, I could do 40 hours but no OT and nothing during the evenings.

Like me, you will need help with dishes, cooking, cleaning, shopping, driving, laundry, etc for several weeks. Like me, you will have lifting restrictions of probably 10 lbs for six weeks.

100% Recovery from this MAJOR SURGERY can take a long time - 6 month to 12 months, sometimes longer.

Here is a link to the checkpoints the other sister mentioned. You also might want to look at the pre-op information.

Unread 08-15-2012, 09:11 PM

Hi Himmelray!
I can't offer any insight on what to expect post op but I can sure empathize on the emotional side. We can be nervous together. My surgery is also September 7th! I am ahving a complete hyster and hopefully keeping both my ovaries.

I have been waiting since June and at first it seemed so far away and now it seems like time is whipping by. I am thinking about it far too much but can't seem to tune it out unless I am at work and busy. I have had what I feel is worse surgery than this but the emotional component of this surgery is what is wearing me down. I am sure there are more tears in my future.

I am sending positive thoughts and support your way!!
Unread 08-15-2012, 10:07 PM

Well I'm only two weeks post op. But I can tell you I was worried for nothing. Surgery was a breeze even though I wanted to beat the crap out of the nurse on duty the day I was discharged. Once I accepted the fact that I like so many others have swelly belly I was good. I've not had any bleeding or discharge at all. All my incisions opened on 2nd day but just kept them clean and now they are doing well. I stocked up on cereal and milk grits and oatmeal. My mama and mother in law keep me in good food. Everythings been pretty easy. It probably would have been even better if I weren't so stubborn and hardheaded. You'll be fine. It'll be over before you know it. The not knowing what you are going to wake up to is the hard part. Hugggsss

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register