Not Scheduled Recovery time and pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery time and pain Recovery time and pain

Unread 10-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Recovery time and pain

Hi all, I am new here, just was told today that I will need a hysterectomy(removal of 1 ovary,uterus and cervix) and was wondering what the recovery time was like especially the pain levels. The doctor that will be doing my surgery does the minimally invasive surgery, 1 incision through the belly button area so there won't be any major cutting on my stomach. If anyone can be so kind enough to give me some pointers or what to expect that would be really great. Im nervous about having this done, this is my second surgery, the first being a D&C, tubal and the NovaSure Ablation last year. Also how long are you usually out for? Sorry for all the questions but my mind is in overdrive with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Re: Recovery time and pain

I had DaVinci, which is robotically-assisted laparoscopic surgery. Everyone is different.
Were those surgeries under general anesthesia?
What is your overall health--do you exercise, have other health issues?
From what I have read and personally experienced, you will need at least 3-4 weeks off from work and heavy physical activities. If you have a very physical job, it is probably more like 6-8 weeks.
I personally did not have pain after the first week--and even when I did, it was easily controlled with ibuprofen or vicodin, and it was never as bad as my usual monthly pain. But, you do need to take it easy, and you will be tired. I am 4 weeks today and today is the first day that I did not need a nap midday. The overwhelming theme of the ladies who had surgery the same week as I did, almost everyone is exhausted and needs a lot more sleep and rest than usual.
I kept my ovaries but had a cyst removed from one; and the uterus and cervix were removed.
My surgery was minimally invasive but I have four incisions--a tiny one at top of navel, a larger one to the side of the navel, and two others on each side near the ovaries. They are all 1/2 an inch or smaller and I barely notice them, even after just four weeks. Even though the organs are removed through the vagina, I am surprised that you will have only one incision. I have never heard anything like that from any of the ladies who have had various types of surgeries.
Pain is very individual. I had horrifically painful periods my whole life since age of 12--to the point that I would vomit, pass out, and sometimes end up in the ER. I found the pain from surgery to be negligible in comparison. However, if you read the post op threads for specific weeks of surgery, you will see that some ladies are still having pain a month later.
When you read the post-op threads, keep in mind that the people who are having minimal problems are probably not posting nearly as much, if at all, compared to people who are having issues. So it is by no means a representative sample.
Don't let it scare you--I got a little freaked out and it was for nothing. I could not be happier with my decision and have resumed all of my normal activities, but I don't work so I can take naps or sleep in if I am running on empty.
Unread 10-26-2012, 08:43 PM

Thanks for the reply sabin3, im just nervous about the whole procedure. When I had the surgery last year, it was under general anesthesia and from what I told only lasted about 45 minutes and everything went textbook. They did everything in one big bundle instead of hear and there procedures. I think they call the 1 incision SILS, the do a 3/4in incision inside the belly button. Im not to worried about scares from it, when I was healthier I used to be a firefighter. What I mean by healthier is I am currently being tested for neuromuscular disease's. I've always had issues with cyst, I started having a period when I was 9 years old and after I had my son at the age of 24 they got so bad that I was going through ultra tampons and super pads. I had the other procedures done last year hoping that it would help me out, it did for a year till I started having crippling pains that landed me in the E.R 4 times last month and labeled me as a pillhead crazy. I was diganoised as having Post Tubal Ligation ablation syndrome along with my cervix was either scarred over or burnt shut by the NovaSure procedure. When the E.R doctor at the last hospital ran an ultrasound on me, he found 10 ML of trapped fluids, an 8 MM fybroid inside my uterus and a 1.6 CM cyst inside my right ovary. Doyou have any advise on like diatary do's and don'ts or anything like that? Again thank you so much for responding to my posting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2012, 09:02 PM

Sabin3 what a great answer full of info! Lambchops - Last year I had to have my gallbladder out and I was amazed at how much more quickly I recovered in comparison to my c-section. It still took me months to feel up to par - but I was able to 'function' after about ten days - I had no choice - I had to take care of my son because my husband had to go on travel and my mother had to go home.

My doctor told me (my surgery is going to be fairly complex) that if I will adhere to three full weeks of bedrest I will do myself a huge favor in the long run and by weeks four and five will be feeling better than the average person that 'jumps the gun' so to speak.

I think everyone is different, but quite frankly, I was GLAD that my doctor told me and my husband three weeks of absolute bed rest without exception (other than bathroom of course) because I will actually get to heal! I was resentful after my gallbladder surgery that I was exhausted, sore, still in pain and couldn't sit down and rest because I had a two year old to take care of.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register