Feeling a bit nervous about surgery on Jan 6th | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Feeling a bit nervous about surgery on Jan 6th Feeling a bit nervous about surgery on Jan 6th

Unread 12-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Feeling a bit nervous about surgery on Jan 6th

I'd like to start off by saying this site has been a blessing to me for I don't know what things would be like going through this without all the amazing info from all of you.
I suffered since 14 with horrid cramps and as an adult with 3 children experienced sharp pelvic pain,pain extending into my upper thigh, lower back pain and an over all unwell feeling. After being told by a GP that it was 1.possibly the artery in my leg 2. weak abdominal muscles not supporting my back and 3 . said to my husband that perhaps I'm just a bit "high strung" I made it clear I wasn't happy with response and was sent to a Gyn for 2nd opinion. I was scheduled promptly by GYN for lap where endo was discovered. This was in 1992.
For the last few years Ive had symptoms slowly returning and increasing in intensity..the last year has been difficult ..constant pelvic ache, lower back pain,fatigue,edema,sharp stabbing pains in pelvic area occasionally, debilitating cramps.
Tests (US and MRI) showed adenomyosis , small fibroids and Dr is pretty positive the endo is back full swing. After debating since Feb I decided I couldn't take it anymore and opted for the hysterectomy taking uterus /cervix but leaving ovaries.. I'm having the DaVinci surgery ,my Dr is very specialized with this technique (head of minimal invasive surgery dept)I understand that he is also specializes in endo treatment which makes me feel relieved. I go in for my pre surgery visit with him on dec 30th. .Trying to make good list of questions. meet with anesthesia dept on Jan 3rd for pre op check up..trying to make list for them too,,,all I can think of is ...agggg I don't want nausea post op ...no heaving with sore tummy please. (I heaved till midnight after the lapo in 1992).......Thanks to Systers...I have my list in order ...fiber tabs,high fiber soups,stool softner,bed tray, new jammies because Im a princess now yoga pants to wear after till my tummy heals and swelly belly lets up ,gas X, heating/cooling pad,....grrr I know I must be forgetting something??? So I guess all I gotta do now is try to remain calm (I'm nervous as heck) The min I had to lay off the advil for three weeks pre op I swear I got headache ....waiting is the hardest part I think .....

Thanks for all the support my Systers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2010, 09:29 PM
Re: Feeling a bit nervous about surgery on Jan 6th

Waiting is the worst part, but the wait is worth it. Life after hysterectomy is just great, I still get giddy walking down the "feminine aisle" at stores. Never again!

Sounds like your shopping is in good shape. I would recommended working out extra, so you are in good shape for recovery. Also, get your hair done. And closer to thesurgery date clean house, get stocked up on groceries and line up help. It is also HIGHLY recommended to throw "goodbye uterus" parties and gatherings, it is lots of fun, plus gets your mind of the surgery for a bit.
Unread 12-20-2010, 09:37 PM

Thanks for the great advice!! I'm trying to do some physical activity but the fatigue and back pain slow me down after being on my feet all day at work I'm done. It's funny you say get my hair done...that is what I do..I'm a cosmetologist ...thinking maybe a facial or massage might be spiffy !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2010, 10:49 AM

LadyVilla, try to just incorporate a bit of movement into your day -- right now it's probably going to be really hard for you to set aside time for a "workout". If you work outside the home, try parking at the far end of the lot instead of close to the building, or if you take public transit try getting off a stop earlier. Try to use the stairs rather than the elevator -- again, not a huge amount at once, but get off a floor earlier and walk. Try to get up several times a day and take a spin around the building, and get outside if possible -- it really helps to get some fresh air and daylight, and if you live up north like I do, you have to make an extra effort at this time of year! Don't worry if you're not ready to train for the Olympics and don't worry if it doesn't feel super-strenuous, it's not supposed to -- anything you can do to get moving even a little bit will really help you.
Unread 12-21-2010, 12:31 PM

Thanks for all the great tips...definatly working on getting in as much as possible . Stand on my feet all day at work and lately they have been swelling and almost bruised ...cutting out as much salt as possible .I've never had this issue before and I'm convinced its tied to my gyn issues ....just feel puffy from waist down lol
Unread 12-21-2010, 02:23 PM

LadyVilla, I'm scheduled for January 6 for LAVH and I'm nervous also. I just got over the stomach flu and am now more paranoid than ever about nausea! I can't imagine being sick with a sore belly. I've never had nausea after surgery before, but who knows? I'm debating about getting my hair chopped at my appointment on January 3. My hair is shoulder length, and I've had both long and really short hair before, so I don't mind having it short. But my husband really prefers it longer. It would be so nice not to have to worry about doing my hair or feeling frumpy because I can only put it into a ponytail. I remember how tangled it was after my first c-section - I had to have my mother comb it out for me! I bought new jammies and warm, fuzzy socks as a treat too. I know I should be resting up, but I can't seem to sleep lately, in part because I find I'm making lists of things I should do to get ready. I am working out regularly in the hopes that it will help with recovery. I'm not watching movies now so I'll have a bunch that I want to see when I'm lying around later. Next week I'll be stocking up the freezer with foods - I think my children will be pretty tired of frozen pizza, but on the couple of nights by DH isn't home to feed them, I'm planning on frozen pizza as the easiest thing to make. We'll also make good use of paper plates and cups those nights too. Today I'm having cramping and pain, which is a little unusual for me, and it actually helps me cope with the nervousness - reminds me why I'm doing this.
Unread 12-21-2010, 03:17 PM

Definitely get the facial. :O). Maybe the haircut if your dh wouldn't freak too much. Good luck. I'm six weeks post op and finally feel good.
Unread 12-22-2010, 01:03 AM
Feeling a bit nervous about surgery on Jan 6th

I finally grew my hair long a few years ago. I can't imagine cutting my hair shorter before my surgery on 1-10! In fact, I had a nightmare last night that I'd cut my hair short before surgery. I don't think long hair pulled back in a neat ponytail is frumpy at all. I've had two major surgeries in the last year, and I found a neat ponytail to be the way to go, for sure. I will bring a cute scrunchie or to to the hospital and then will use my assortment of silk scarves to jazz up my pony until I'm ready for more hair styling a few weeks after my surgery. In my opinion, short hair is much more work after surgery than long hairc
Unread 12-22-2010, 01:23 PM

The main thing is ..do what makes us comfy and happy . I think I'll be doing the ponytail thing myself . Summer let's share more since we have surgery same day it will help me knowing I'm not alone out there .

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register