Goodbye tampons | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Goodbye tampons Goodbye tampons

Unread 12-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Goodbye tampons

I realized today that I have used the last tampon I should ever need. Sure, I'm still using panty liners, and expect to need pads and liners post-op, but my tampon days are done. I'm trying to focus my nervous energy pre-op on preparation and celebrating the positive aspects. The end of tampons is a great milestone, and I haven't even had the surgery yet. I'm celebrating already!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Re: Goodbye tampons

Yay! You know how when people quit smoking and they save the money they haven't spent on cigs and use it for a vacation. . . we should do that with the $ we save on tampons, pads, condoms and b-control!
wishing you the best of luck with your journey.
Unread 12-20-2010, 02:46 PM

Yay!! Isn't it a great feeling?? I now have an entire shelf free in my linen closet...and more room in my purse...and desk drawer...and bathroom cabinet...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2010, 03:39 PM

That is one of the things I am happiest about. I swear the manufacturers of feminine hygiene products should be ashamed of themselves. I used pads, liners, and 2 types of tampons. Probably spent $30 - 40 a month on them. Today I gave 2 boxes of tampons and 1/2 a box of midol to a co-worker when I stopped in to visit and she was very happy...but not as happy as I am not to need them anymore.
Unread 12-21-2010, 07:11 AM

My surgery is scheduled January 10th due to a large fibroid. Because of the fibroid, I spot or bleed nearly every day.

I just used up my last tampon and I have TONS of pads (which I hate to use but used to have to use to double up with tampons before I got the Mirena IUD to control the bleeding)- I don't want to buy any more tampons since my surgery is in less than 3 weeks!!!

I cannot believe I won't have to deal with them anymore. I don't think that reality has truly hit me yet!!! What freedom that will bring. I truly cannot wait!
Unread 12-21-2010, 08:56 AM

I have a basket in the bathroom next to the toilet that used to be filled with a multitude of feminine hygiene products. I happened glance down at it today and saw a couple of extra rolls of tp, cotton swabs, and pre-moistened flushable wipes. Not seeing all that other junk really made me smile. It's finally over!!!
Unread 12-21-2010, 07:46 PM

I'm with you there! I was trying to buy more of my favorite brand but found they seem to be phasing it out, then I got the news about my op, so I guess the universe was just doing the right thing for me!

I just stocked up on panty liners and pads. Not sure how much I will need. I had a mirena fitted a month ago and have had bleeding and pain ever since. The MRI showed adenomy and cysts on both ovaries, plus fibroids, so I guess it would never have fixed the problem(s) anyway.

Its scary to count it down but I have 9 days to go. I bought a candle and made some prayer flags so I can have a little 'goodbye uterus' ceremony.
Unread 12-21-2010, 10:10 PM

I was happy when I hit menopause for the same reason. I was sooooooooo unhappy when I started bleeding and had to buy and use tampons and pads again (sigh).

Even when I don't need them anymore, I will still keep a box of tampons and pads around just in case someone is visiting and needs them. They are also both good to keep around for trauma first aid (tampons for gunshot wounds and and large puncture wounds; pads make awesome dressings). I hope I never need them for first aid or anything else...
Unread 12-21-2010, 10:31 PM

"They are also both good to keep around for trauma first aid (tampons for gunshot wounds and and large puncture wounds; pads make awesome dressings). I hope I never need them for first aid or anything else.."- Reminds me of when we were hiking down Stone Mountain and my son tripped and fell and got a bloody nose. All any of us had on us was a tampon. Imagine the looks we got when I started searching for a trash can with a bloody tampon in my hand...
Unread 12-22-2010, 10:23 AM

Good idea about keeping some pads/tampons around, just in case guests need them.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register