LAVH as an outpatient procedure???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH as an outpatient procedure???? LAVH as an outpatient procedure????

Unread 10-24-2003, 12:26 PM
LAVH as an outpatient procedure????

Hi Everyone,
I had a LAVH on 1/23/03 and I feel fantastic. I was in the hospital 2 nights rather than 1 night because of a nicked bladder during the procedure. My sister-in-law is scheduled for a LAVH and was told it would be performed as an outpatient procedure and she would be going home the same day. Does anyone have any input on this? I know that I was thankful I had my pain medication through a pump for the days I was in the hospital, I can't even imagine being sent home the same day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2003, 12:32 PM

My dr and I just decided on a LAVH for me today and he told me I would be in the hospital for 24 hours afterwards. He said they use to send you right home, but feel it is better now to let you stay and watch you for overnight.
Unread 10-24-2003, 12:52 PM

I had my LAVH 3/28/03 and I'm feeling great! No more problems!

The hospital told me it was an outpatient procedure also, but my doctor almost laughed when I asked her that. She said ALMOST EVERYONE stays at least one night. Yes, they want you able to walk, talk, stable blood pressure, and make sure you can pee and pass gas. They have to be sure your anesthesia wears off and you can cope with the pain meds either the PCA pump or oral meds. I would have just asked the doctor to keep me overnight if they were going to kick me out. My surgery was late morning on a Friday, and my dh took me home around 4 p.m. on Saturday. I climbed right back into bed and spend the most part of the next several days there.

Mary W
age 48
Formerly adeno, fibroids, polypoid tissue, enlarged uterus...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2003, 01:58 PM

I had and LSH but my doctor told me that they schedule the surgery as an outpatient because of insurance. He said he would only release me if I was doing okay. I got out that night but could have spent the night with insurance approval. Well it's a lot easier to get approval after the surgery than before. My insurance doesn't require a pre-cert for outpatient so I was approved without too much trouble. Maybe that's why your SIL is scheduled like that. Just a thought.

Amy
Unread 10-24-2003, 02:28 PM

I had laparoscopic surgery and they called it outpatient but with a 23 hour observation period.

I read somewhere that it's to get around insurance stuff where if you're actually admitted, you have a larger copay, so they call it outpatient.

however I paid cash, so the insurance thing is moot. I checked in a 9am for an 11am procedure and was sent home around 3pm the next day. we ran late because I had some complications with the catheter mid-morning.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register