Horrible backaches - anyone else?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Horrible backaches - anyone else?? Horrible backaches - anyone else??

Unread 06-27-2005, 08:45 AM
Horrible backaches - anyone else??

hey ladies,
I am about 4 months out, and have horrible backaches most of the time, especially when I try to walk for any amount of time.

Took my kids to a mall could hardly stand to walk at all, just hurts so bad in my lower back.

Went to a huge auction and had to leave my family there and go sit in the car because it hurt so bad.

I am still suffering from severe constipation - that I guess could cause lower back pain.

I dont know all i know is I am frustrated and tired of hurting.

Anyone have any clues??? Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2005, 09:31 AM

HI,

Did you have this back trouble before surgery? Sometimes, after all the uterus, cervix, endo, and adhesions are removed, we are left with other pain that was always there but mixed up with the pelvic pain.

My recovery was 6 months and my front and back muscles are shot from standing differently, from protecting my front and from NON USE!!! I'm trying to build back up to where I was.

Then again, your pain may have nothing to do with the surgery. If so, start from scratch. See your doctor. Get some back muscle building exercises. Get into the best walking shoe. Check your mattress, maybe get a new one? I've always been told that the back muscles are a reflection of the front muscles.

Mall walking is the worse...and standing still on concrete is also bad. And you're right, being constipated can really add to your discomfort. Remember also, that everything has a new location inside there and you're still pretty young in recovery. Hope this all improves for you.
Unread 06-27-2005, 09:41 AM

My back has been really sore lately too. Especially with the more activity I do. I think it has to do with the stomach muscles being weakened due to lack of use. I'm sure that the constipation doesn't help either. Have you tried any stool softeners like metamucil? Or how about all bran or activa yougart? Also try eating a lot of fruit and drinking real fruit juice and lots of water. DId you have the constipation before the surgery? I think I would go and see you doctor and get it checked out what will it hurt?
Kat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2005, 09:46 AM

Thank you,

I did have trouble before surgery but usually only when I was having my period, I had horrible cramps and pains in the front and in the back at that time, but I also had alot of adhesions, so I can understand why it hurt, everything was attached!!!

We did purchase a new mattress, so that is a bonus.
It does not hurt upon waking so I don't think that is a problem.

I have been thinking about the stomach muscle thing, I did pilates before surgery and had a very tone tight tummy, I do think that maybe the lack of muscle tone in my tummy may be directly related to the problem.

I know I need to get back into doing some ab exercises and try to strenghten those and maybe that will help.

I think I will type up a list of my symptoms, and fax them to my dr. He is 110 miles away so it is quite a job to get to see him.

Thanks for your imput, and help. I will keep on chugging along and hope it all works out.

I must say I had no idea that recovery would still be an issue at this point. Boy was I wrong!! It really does take a long time to get over this surgery!
Unread 06-27-2005, 10:37 AM
back ache

My back hurt before the surgery - I was hoping the surgery was going to be my fix all. Mine hurts most after I sit for any period of time and get up to move around again.

I suggest seeing a dr. too - I know my general dr. used to chock it up to good old fashion back pain as you get older - I'm only 34 and my back feels like it's 70! Good Luck! If anyone has any good back excersises to build strenth - I'd like some advice.
Unread 06-27-2005, 10:52 AM

Yeah - I do not consider 34 old, seein as how I am 33!!
I don't buy that old age crap.

I know that pilates is great for lower back and tummy, a good core exercise. Plus it is easy on the bod!!

I love it, just have been to lazy or depressed or something to get back into it.

We have our county fair coming up and I have small kids that want to spend the entire weekend going on rides, which means lots and lots of walking and standing, so I best be getting back into shape, and figuring out this back thing - I don't want to miss out on the fair!!

Good luck to the rest of you
Unread 06-27-2005, 11:12 AM

My TAH/BSO was March 1. During my recovery I had issues with my tailbone but I figured it was from too much sitting or laying around. After I returned to work May 9 the tailbone got worse and by the end of a 2 week period of time back to work my whole back was just as stiff and inflamed and having spasms. My family doctor gave me a month supply of muscle relaxers. Now after 3 weeks of taking them gradually my back is getting back to normal. Of course the gyno said it had nothing to do with the surgery. Yea. Right. I personally believe it was from inactivity during recovering and some bruising and disturbance from the actual surgery. Just my opinion.

GBB
Unread 06-27-2005, 11:49 AM

yes!! I am 2 weeks today & I know that it really isn't that long but if it wasn't for the backache I would really be quite fine. I woke up from surgery in terrible back pain & they told me it was because of all of the packing in my vagina and that it would subside. I have also had some bladder issues and it could be from that but I sure do hope it goes away soon and doesn't linger. Good luck to the rest of you that your backaches subside soon as well.

Hugs,
Aimee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register