Scheduled for vaginal hyst and cystocele, questions about recovery and breastfeeding | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scheduled for vaginal hyst and cystocele, questions about recovery and breastfeeding Scheduled for vaginal hyst and cystocele, questions about recovery and breastfeeding

Unread 05-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Scheduled for vaginal hyst and cystocele, questions about recovery and breastfeeding

I'm scheduled for a vaginal hyst for repair of cystocele on Friday, May 15. I've had it bulging out for 10 years now, after the birth of our second baby. Have 4 babies now, youngest is not yet 10 months. How will recovery be while caring for and breastfeeding him? Will I miss most of my older boys' baseball games? Will I be able to take the kids swimming? They're almost out of school. Really worried about them, but I think the vagina or cervix is prolapsed, too, and it's gotten bad the last 2 weeks, with lots of leaking of vaginal fluid. Haven't had any incontinence, but am suddenly having difficulty voiding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Re: Uterine Prolapse

I am 24 years old and I to had a prolapsed uterus that was on the verge of protruding. I went to the doctor, and because my husband and I was finished having children he suggested a hysterectomy. There are other solutions to fixing a prolapsed uterus, but sometimes they fail, and I would have been right back in the same situation. So my husband and I agreed to the hyster. No 11 days post op I am having some minor delays. Possible infection, and some bright red bleeding "more spotting then bleeding". I am able to get up and get myself a drink and something quick to eat if I need to. I have my sister here with me to help with my children, and to clean the house. Recovery as been pretty easy. I would say if this is something you want to take care of quickly talk to your doctor and see what treatments he would suggest. I was nervous and upset days leading up to the surgery, but now I am glad I was able to have the problem fixed for good. Best of Luck to you..
Unread 05-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Re: Uterine Prolapse

Do you feel able to nurse a baby every few hours, get up with him at night, change diapers? I'm just wondering if I need to put this off. I know he'll only get bigger and harder to pick up if I wait, and the prolapse is really awful. I don't want to stop nursing, either.

Hope your complications clear up and you're back to normal ASAP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Re: Scheduled for vaginal hyst and cystocele, questions about recovery and breastfeed

Hi ((swissrollsrock))!

You can find a lot of information regarding the various types of hysterectomy and recoveries by reading through the many Pre Op and Post Op articles we have here on the site! We even have a specific one regarding Breastfeeding after a Hysterectomy.

The best person to ask, though, is your physician. Only your doctor knows exactly what is planned for surgery and how long s/he plans for you to stay down and whether or not breastfeeding is going to be an option for you.

I would suggest making a list of all of your questions and concerns and call your doctor's office and ask for an appointment right away to sit down and chat--no exam, just talk over your concerns. If you have any doubts about this surgery being right for you at this time, you need to talk to your doctor and possibly consider postponing. There is no going back once you have had surgery. Weigh your pros and cons again and decide what is best for you.

Did you have a second opinion about what is best for you? Maybe another opinion would help you know what to do.

Sending s your way!
Unread 05-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Re: Scheduled for vaginal hyst and cystocele, questions about recovery and breastfeed

Thanks for your advice! I don't remember much of what the Dr said at my appt., but I have another to discuss the surgery on Monday. I printed out the suggested questions on this site already.

After reading some more posts, I'm concerned about swelly belly now, too, as I have an umbilical hernia that needs to be fixed and already have issues with it. Last baby was a preemie, with an emergency c-section, and I really didn't want to have any more surgery after that experience. Guess I've put all this off long enough.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register