Upcoming hysterectomy: everyone around me is sick how can i protect myself? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy: everyone around me is sick how can i protect myself? Upcoming hysterectomy: everyone around me is sick how can i protect myself?

Unread 12-15-2014, 09:39 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy: everyone around me is sick how can i protect myself?

Hi. I am concerned about getting sick. My husband has a cold, my granddaughter has a cold, my son will soon catch it.... and of course it will work its way around to me. How can i protect myself? I thought of wearing a handkerchief over my nose snd mouth, wearing gloves.... but it could very well be too late. My surgery is on the 30th of this month and I read that if you have a cold, surgery most likely will be postponed. I am concerned. I need this surgery done this year since all deductibles have been met. Any advice??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2014, 09:59 AM
Re: everyone around me is sick how can i protect myself?

My surgery is scheduled for 12/22 and my Dr. advised that I avoid other humans for the next week, lol. I have been using lots of bleach wipes on surfaces and alcohol wipes (sanitizer) on my hands after touching shared surfaces. I am also doing a saline nasal rinse 2-3 times a day. I was taking 1000 mg vitamin C until today because I was told to stop all supplements one week prior to surgery. I also made a big pot of homemade chicken soup to have at lunchtime this week for good measure. Now I'm paranoid, though. She told me she will not do surgery until 2 weeks after having no symptoms. I don't want to have to wait any longer. You still have some time, though. I would definitely start taking a heavy dose of vitamin C!
Unread 12-15-2014, 10:28 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy: everyone around me is sick how can i protect myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginadrc View Post
My surgery is scheduled for 12/22 and my Dr. advised that I avoid other humans for the next week, lol. I have been using lots of bleach wipes on surfaces and alcohol wipes (sanitizer) on my hands after touching shared surfaces. I am also doing a saline nasal rinse 2-3 times a day. I was taking 1000 mg vitamin C until today because I was told to stop all supplements one week prior to surgery. I also made a big pot of homemade chicken soup to have at lunchtime this week for good measure. Now I'm paranoid, though. She told me she will not do surgery until 2 weeks after having no symptoms. I don't want to have to wait any longer. You still have some time, though. I would definitely start taking a heavy dose of vitamin C!
I will definitely start. I hope I do not get sick. Thanks for rhe advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2014, 02:10 PM
Re: everyone around me is sick how can i protect myself?

I understand your worry! My husband and youngest son had colds the week before my surgery and I was sure I would get it...as I always do...but I managed to not catch it. I had a deductible met and everything set up to be off work, I couldn't screw this up with a cold!

Try Emergency-C. It has really worked for me in the past. Drink twice a day. I tried just taking high dose vitamin c a couple times but it didn't seem to ward things off as well.

Wash hands all the time! Your sick family members especially. Wipe surfaces with bleach wipes - especially door handles, sink knobs/faucets, etc. Wash towels and sheets, anything you share, in hot water.

Don't kiss, eat or drink after anyone who's sick. I wouldn't face my husband in bed and even thought of sleeping on the couch.

I hope you stay well!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register