Abdominal Hyst/Mini Laparotomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abdominal Hyst/Mini Laparotomy Abdominal Hyst/Mini Laparotomy

Unread 05-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Abdominal Hyst/Mini Laparotomy

Doc. says I should only remove uterus because of fibroids. Should the cervix go to since they are in there? What good is it to keep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Re: Abdominal Hyst/Mini Laparotomy

I think keeping the cervix is somewhat of a controversy....some doctors recommend removing it, others recommend keeping it. I can share my experience with you...Prior to my surgery I asked my doctor about it, and she told me that since my uterus was so full of fibroids that removing it was a good idea, and that fibroids can grow on your cervix. She said there was no reason structurally as far as the bladder goes, or any reasons related to sex. So I had mine removed. On the post op forum I'm read of some women who have continued to have mini periods every month that still have their cervix. I guess the reason is because a tiny bit the uterine tissue is still attached. I haven't had any issues since my surgery, my bladder issues prior to have all gone away, which is nice. I would definitely talk to your doctor about it. Good luck to you, I had so many problems due to fibroids, all of which are now gone.
Unread 05-03-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdancer40 View Post
I think keeping the cervix is somewhat of a controversy....some doctors recommend removing it, others recommend keeping it. I can share my experience with you...Prior to my surgery I asked my doctor about it, and she told me that since my uterus was so full of fibroids that removing it was a good idea, and that fibroids can grow on your cervix. She said there was no reason structurally as far as the bladder goes, or any reasons related to sex. So I had mine removed. On the post op forum I'm read of some women who have continued to have mini periods every month that still have their cervix. I guess the reason is because a tiny bit the uterine tissue is still attached. I haven't had any issues since my surgery, my bladder issues prior to have all gone away, which is nice. I would definitely talk to your doctor about it. Good luck to you, I had so many problems due to fibroids, all of which are now gone.
Glad to here your problems are gone. I cant wait to be free from pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2010, 09:36 PM

Tamc -

So glad you found us.

You might find this pre-op article regarding the Keep the cervix or not to be helpful.

Whatever you decide needs to be the right choice for you.

as you wait for your surgery date.

G.

:

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register