Upcoming hysterectomy 12/15: Abdominal binder? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 12/15: Abdominal binder? Upcoming hysterectomy 12/15: Abdominal binder?

Unread 12-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 12/15: Abdominal binder?

My surgery is Monday.. It all happened so fast and I've trying to make a list of things to buy and get everything prepared. I keep reading about an abdominal binder? What is it? Why do I need it? Where do I find one? I don't have time to order online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2014, 04:46 PM
Re: Abdominal binder?

I asked the hospital for one and they gave it to me. It helps hold things in place., like a pillow to your abdomen would.
Unread 12-12-2014, 05:07 PM

One sister likened it to a "tummy bra." It's supposed to provide additional support. Myself, I never had one, was never offered one and never wanted one. But some sisters swear by them. It's a matter of personal taste. I think Walmart has them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2014, 05:59 PM

The hospital gave me one. I used it some but think I would have been okay without it too.
Unread 12-12-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhp8982 View Post
I keep reading about an abdominal binder? What is it? Why do I need it? Where do I find one? I don't have time to order online.
Ask your doctor before you use one. My current doctor doesn't allow his patients to use them. Then there are those that actually get them at the hospital post surgery.

I realise that it's probably too late for you to find this out before your surgery, but holding off a few days until you know whether it is worth purchasing or not, might save you a few $$$.
Unread 12-12-2014, 06:22 PM

Do you have someone who can run errands for you after surgery? My upstairs neighbour offered to do this for me. I figured if I needed a binder, I could ask her to go to Walmart and get me one.
Unread 12-12-2014, 06:49 PM

Yes I will have people to help. I'll try to ask at the hospital but if they don't have one maybe I can have someone get me one.
Unread 12-12-2014, 08:49 PM

I am an advocate for them. I bought the ones on this site. It felt good to have the binder on and be able to walk upright and not feel like I had to hold my tummy. Now, I have a bit of a hangover in the tummy dept. Maybe that was why it was a benefit. Also helps when laying down with being able to turn. I used it very often for the first 4 weeks. Definitely recommend.
Unread 12-12-2014, 09:18 PM

I don't have time to orderne from on here unfortunately.
Unread 12-13-2014, 12:49 AM

Hi! Just wanted to say that no two bodies react the same way - as you can see from the various experiences posted. As for my two cents, I am a big fan of the binder. I awoke from surgery with one on given by the doctor/hospital, and obviously my doctor recommends it. BUT be sure to follow YOUR doctor's instructions.

From what I understand, the goal of the abdominal binder is providing compression and support. As you probably know, Compression is a classic treatment to reduce swelling and promote healing (think of an injury like a sprained ankle and the famous ACE bandage).

I read that Swelling is just a natural reaction of our bodies when injured. So, after surgery, our bodies create fluid to protect the healing area. This can get out of hand and increase pain. Compression of the area reduces the amount of fluid that can build up between the layers which leads to faster healing (Plus, Bonus - a better appearance).

I also read that Compression helps increase blood flow and improve blood circulation and oxygen levels in the healing area. I can say that I have healed really nicely so far, but I don't know for sure how much is just my body's ability or other factors.

But I can say, from my experience, I have found my binder has really helped my pain and swelly belly. I have been blessed with a great recovery so far...only needing Tylenol/Advil for pain and a heating pad. No spotting or bleeding, perfectly healed incisions that are already hard to see where they even were! (at only day 18) AND I have been able to feel well enough to do plenty of walking between my frequent resting periods. I am being very careful not to do anything strenuous.

That post surgical swelling can really add to the hurt! But the constant gentle pressure applied by the binder reduced that for me - which kind of surprised me because I thought putting extra pressure on my belly sounded like a bad idea and might feel awful - but not at all, it feels good (to me at least!)

I think it is because the binder provides a kind of diffuse, overall gentle pressure without any pressure points...not like the direct, uncomfortable pressure of a waistband on your pants, or tight underwear.

Another benefit is the nice support it gives which helps take away the discomfort when I am laughing, sneezing, or changing position in bed. It made it possible for me able to sleep on my side (favorite position!) more comfortably because it holds everything in place and eliminates any gravity pulling on those tender parts - feels firm and protected. That also makes it easier to walk around - which is highly recommended as a gentle and important way to be "active" during recovery and encourage healing while preventing complications like blood clots and pneumonia.

One last thing I noticed is it helps assist my lower back muscles from getting so tired and aching, since they have to help out so much to compensate for the abdominal muscles which are weakened right now.

I don't know if body type plays a role in liking the binder, but I am tall and thin (and formerly very fit exercise instructor) but have not been able to work out as much the past year due to health problems.
Looking forward to a strong healthy me again after recovery!
Hope this was helpful!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register