Pain medication before leaving the OR? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain medication before leaving the OR? Pain medication before leaving the OR?

Unread 06-19-2008, 05:04 AM
Pain medication before leaving the OR?

My Dr told me he gives his hyst patients an injection before leaving the OR that will make me pain freee for 18-24 hours
Wondering what it is and if anyone else has ever had this. He said he gives it to his C-section patients as well and that they are walking the halls in 12 hours. Sounds too good to be true but I guess if he says it it must work. How soon should we be walking after surgery anyway in the hospital I mean.

emd1126
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2008, 05:16 AM

I was up walking in the hospital within a few hours but I had laproscopic. I think they want you up and walking to prevent blood clots and probably pneumonia. Your doctor's shot sounds wonderful to me!
Unread 06-19-2008, 07:53 AM

Was he talking about a 24 hour morphine epidural? That is what I hope to get and that is the only one I know of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2008, 08:20 AM

This shot thing sounds really good. I am scared of the pain right after. But if it is a epidural, that stays inserted into the back, that sounds a little scary too. I had a knee surgery done. My doctor had shot some kind of medication directly into my knee. When I woke up I was totally pain free and it stayed that way until that night. I wonder if something like that is was your doctor thinking? I'd like to find out more about this. Anybody else know anything?
Unread 06-19-2008, 09:19 AM

not sure what he is refering to, but it sounds good I had my surgery with epidural, and it was wonderful...didnt feel the needle for a was gone already in the OR, when I woke up in recovery I didnt have anything in my back (needle), but I was PAINFREE for 24 hours felt wonderful.......my doctor made me stay in bed the first 24 hours because there is a chance with epidural that you can get headaches, so I stayed in bed until the next morning, then I was given percocet and started walking the halls and left the hospital by midday

make sure you ask all the questions you need to feel assured and confident about your surgery....
Unread 06-19-2008, 10:11 AM

I had spinal anesthesia. They removed the vaginal packing and catheter 6 hours after surgery and I walked to the batroom about an hour later. I don't remember what time I was walking the hall, but it was that afternoon beacuse I remember seeing light out the window in the seating area at the end of the hallway.

I had no injection of a pain med.

Best wishes for your surgery - Joanne
Unread 06-19-2008, 05:05 PM

I had a spinal (not a epidural, nothing stayed in my back) They gave me DuraMorph, but I did not stay pain free through the night.
Unread 06-19-2008, 05:13 PM

Remtana926

So what did you get after that wore off and was it enough to leave you pain free? I assume you woke up pain free from the OR though, that is my greatest fear waking in agony
Unread 06-19-2008, 05:51 PM

Yes, I would like to know also....what is the advantage of having a spinal anesthesia vs. epidural??? EMD1126, I called the hospital that I will have my procedure at and asked the head of the anesthesiology department to call me so I can get my questions answered asap, not the night before. My greatest fear is also waking in agony and I want to do whatever it takes to avoid that. Please let me know what you find out.
Unread 06-19-2008, 09:26 PM

I don't know if this is what you are talking about, but there is a strong anti-inflammatory drug, sort of like an injectable ibuprofen that is used frequently in the OR to help manage post-op pain. It is a long-acting drug and helps to reduce the amount of opioid medication that is required post-op by reducing inflammation. I don't think I've ever heard of it used all by itself, however, so maybe you are talking about something else. Hugs!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register