Bowel prep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-14-2012, 08:42 PM
Bowel prep

Hi ladies. I am new here. My Doctor said no bowel prep required. Pre-op and surgery in early July.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2012, 06:24 AM
Re: Pre op tomorrow! Just curious who all had to do a bowel prep...(updated)

The bowel prep was no big deal. I gave myself the enema . It was just a solution to squirt up. It gave me a few watery bowel movements. It wasn't painful t all!!
Unread 06-16-2012, 11:48 PM

I had to do the bowel prep, 2 1/2 liters of a combination of two horrible liquids lol, but to be honest since damage to the bowel was my biggest concern, i would have preferred it regardless. Initially i was going for a total laprocscopic hysterectomy, so i guess i was prepped for that, instead i ended up with abdominal (but holes from both lol) so it make that even easier for the surgeon. the bowel prep is not pleasant, but anything to reduce the risks is worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2012, 11:54 PM

my dr asked me to get dulcolax and take a pill every two hours for six hrs starting at 5pm the night before and it worked like a champ!!! i didnt have to drink that yucky liquid
Unread 06-18-2012, 10:15 PM

Having a TAH on Wednesday and I specifically asked about that and they told me No. Hmmm, they might give me a pill after reading these posts. I have Pre-Op tomorrow at 11 am so I guess I'll see.
Unread 06-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Bowel prep

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks for me, and yes, i had to do the bowel thing. I was told that this was necessary in the event of a trearing in your bowel. This is very possible since the doctor does not know exactly how much scar tissue he/she will find. They want to be as prepared as possible. Have some vaseline ready by the toilet.....you will get a bit sore and raw by the end. Hahahah good luck
Unread 06-18-2012, 10:40 PM

i think it is pretty common. i had an enema done on me. just a lot of flushing water inside through the rectum to clean out your bowels. it's safer that way so that there are no possible contaminants left in your system to get in the way of the surgery. yup - we gotta do what we havta do. good luck!
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:37 PM

I just found out that I have to do one. I'm supposed to do a clear liquid diet during the day, then the bowel prep in the evening. The surgeon told me it was to make the bowels smaller so he has more room to work.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register