nervous and afraid | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

nervous and afraid nervous and afraid

Unread 03-28-2009, 08:50 PM
nervous and afraid

Hello everyone. I'm new to this site and I was scared out of my mind, due to reading blogs on other sites. I was so thankful to find this site. It has helped me tremendously, but I am still a little afraid and unsure about having a hysterectomy. I am due to have mine at the end of June and I'm not sure as to what to have removed, or what to keep. I have 2 polyps and a large fibroid. I have pain a week before my period. Pain during my period and a few days afterward. Sometimes it is so unbearable, and the bleeding is awful. I'm not sure if I should keep my ovaries or keep my cervix. I was told that it would be wise to do so, but I need someone to tell me the reason why I should or shouldn't keep them. I'm so nervous about this hysterectomy situation. Please, someone help me to feel better. I'm not just nervous, I'm also a bit afraid.

LeighN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2009, 10:10 PM
Re: nervous and afraid

LeighN,

As far as your ovaries, If they are healthy and you want to keep them then do so. If you have both removed you will go into menopause.
Do you have a family history of cancer? Do you get Cysts.

As for your cervix, I have seen info both ways. I am having mine removed. Some women have mini periods even after their Hysterectomy when they keep their cervix. You will also need to have yearly PAP Smears.

Do Lots of research. Look at the pro's and con's of everything. Talk to your DR and ask her why she feels it would be best to keep them.

There are also a lot of wonderful articals on this site in the pre op area. Also look through the pre op and post op forums. You may have some of your questions and concerns answered there.

We are there with you. You will see we all are nervous and scared.

I hope this helps.
Unread 03-29-2009, 12:16 AM

I am glad I didn't have to wait so long before having my hysterectomy. The waiting and pondering is one of the hardest parts.

I had heavy bleeding and constant cramping. After a couple ultrasounds and a lap procedure. I decided (along with my gyn) to remove everything.

I had to start ERT the day after surgery because of it, but I am now 9 weeks post op and feeling great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2009, 07:18 AM

Hi LeighN,

This site was a life saver for me before my SAH (which means I kept cervix and ovaries). I was very unsure about the whole thing, very anxious, to the point of almost cancelling.

I knew I wanted to keep anything (everything!) that was healthy. The doctor said there was no problem with the cervix since I've had normal pap smears.

He assumed that I would probably lose the left ovary since the fibroid was so enormous he thought it had swallowed it! Geech. In the end this proved not to be the case but I told him I'd leave it to his judgment in surgery. When I woke up he told me I still had both ovaries. Cool.

For me the issue was the size of the fibroid and its position pushing against blood vessels so I had throbbing pain that lasted sometimes most of a day. It contributed to fatigue and insomnia (though mostly because of its pressure on the bladder. I can't tell you how nice it is to be able to go for a 90 minute walk -- or a night's sleep -- and not have to plan ahead where I can stop at a ladies room!)

In the end, for me, the surgery was the right decision.

There's a lot of great information on this site and really wonderful people, too. It's tough to have so long to wait (I found out about surgery end of May, the surgery was scheduled for Sept. 8) but I found this site a great comfort.

Best wishes!!!

Unread 03-29-2009, 04:32 PM

Hi LeighN,

I had my hyst due to two large fibroids. If your ovaries and cervix are healthy...you might think about leaving them. I am still very pleased with my decision to keep them.

In pre-op, my ovaries were healthy and ovarian cancer does not run in my family. I read that the ovaries secrete important hormones that help with the bones, skin and hair, to name a few. And newer studies are showing that the ovaries secrete their important hormones well into menopause and by keeping the ovaries after a hyst, it helps with heart health. Also, my Dr. told me that 5% or less of women get ovarian cancer..so that was good odds for me. I was not prepared to remove my healthy ovaries to prevent something that might never happen.

I decided to keep my cervix since I had normal pap smears for years and my cervix was sturdy. Also, my Dr. told me that the cervix helps with future pelvic support and with sex. My Dr. told me that 3% or less of women get cervical cancer...and then I went on to read on Hyster Sisters that approx. 70% of that 3% also have a HPV...so that is why normal pap smears are important to keep the cervix.

In the end...just do what you feel is best for you. That is what is most important.

Best wishes~

Mary
Unread 03-29-2009, 05:16 PM

i kept my cervix and ovaries because they were healthy. i didnt want the extra recovery time from having my cervix removed, i didnt want a vaginal cuff...and i read that it helps with future pelvic support (there are also a lot of studies that show this isnt true). as for my ovaries..i didnt want to go into surgical menopause, try to get hormone replacement right and there are so many benefits to having your own hormones (ovaries continue to supply you with small amts even after menopause). i kept both of my ovaries and at over 2.5 years post op..my hormone levels are completely normal. i feel fantastic!

do lots of research and become informed of the pros and cons of everything. once you do that, you will be able to make the best decision for you. good luck!
Unread 04-08-2009, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the information. I'm still nervous and my surgery isn't until June. (Waiting for school to be out.) I'm going to take everyone's advice and just research and read everything. I was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 years ago, and right now I'm healthy and feel very blessed, so I think that I am going to have my ovaries removed. (Just in case.) But I'm opting to keep my cervix. (I still feel undecided) I'm 48 and my doctor feels that I need to get rid of my ovaries. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Let me know, please.
Unread 04-08-2009, 04:10 PM

i dont know anything about ovary removal and breast cancer. can you take hormone replacement since youve had breast cancer? is the reason your dr wants them removed because of your age or because of the breast cancer? you need to find out if theres a medical reason why and look into that.
Unread 04-08-2009, 04:15 PM

He says that he recommends ovary removal because I had a great-aunt who had ovarian cancer (so I was told, not sure). He also said that I would not have to do HRT because of the breast cancer. I wish my family wasn't so tight-lipped about family issues. This is why I'm not sure. It's depressing.
Unread 04-08-2009, 05:05 PM

you should probably talk to the dr about what you will do if your surgical menopause symptoms are very bad. if you cant hrt, what can you?
i thought the ovarian cancer risk that concerned dr's was more immediate family like mother/sister.
maybe you should go for a second opinion. speak to your dr and the second opinion dr about keeping your ovaries if theyre healthy and definitely about hrt.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register