Scheduled TAH Question: hyperplasia complex atypia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question: hyperplasia complex atypia Question: hyperplasia complex atypia

Unread 05-30-2013, 11:22 PM
Question: hyperplasia complex atypia

Hi HystSisters!!
Has anyone out there had a complete hysterectomy with
ovaries removed for hyperplasia complex atypia how did
you do? I know before they close you doing the surgery they do a path report on your cervix to see if you have any form of cancer can someone tell me about how that turn out for them or is that pick up before surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2013, 05:47 AM
Re: Question: hyperplasia complex atypia

Hi,
I just had a total hyster via da Vinci on the 29th. I had complex atypical hyperplasia. While they had me on the table they sent my uterus, ovaries and cervix to pathology for the preliminary pathology - no cancer obvious. So no lymph nodes taken. Now they will do the complete pathology and I will get that report in 2 weeks at my follow up visit with the gyn onc. My dr said there is a 42% chance of finding cancer in cases like mine. So the majority of the time they don't find any cancer so that is good! Try not to stress about the diagnosis and focus on healing. Having it all gone means it cannot develop cancer later on!!

Good luck with your surgery. Take candy or chocolates for the nurses and aides - they will really appreciate it. I meant to take some with me for those in the pre op holding area but forgot!

I came home the next afternoon and am taking it easy. Still taking my pain meds but will take less and less as I am able. I didn't use a binder, just held my tummy with my hands or a pillow. Hang in there and you will be feeling better in no time!
Unread 05-31-2013, 03:42 PM

Hi Purple 2013,

I had an LAVH on 4/30 - my cervix, uterus, tubes and ovaries were removed. I went to the gyno in March because I was having an endless period. He took a biopsy of my uterus, which came back as positive for complex hyperplasia with atypia, but no cancerous cells were detected. If there is uterine cancer, sometimes it's detected at this point, sometimes not until, or even after, surgery.

My gyno recommended a complete hysterectomy and referred me to a gyno-oncologist. He also recommended a complete hysterectomy. I got a 2d opinion from a gyno-oncologist, who explained that a total hysterectomy is the standard "treatment" for complex hyperplasia with atypia.

During the procedure, a frozen section from my uterus was sent off to pathology. The report came back clear and the final path report issued 3 days later was also clear.

I stayed in the hospital overnight. I was able to drive after a week and a half and returned to work (not quite full-time yet) after 3 weeks.

I feel very fortunate to have had a good result and I hope that you will too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2013, 07:35 AM

purple2013

glad you found us.

As you probably already know complex hyperplasia with atypia is considered pre-cancer. Ao if you aren't seeing a gyn-oncologist you should see if you can talk to one. Sometimes early stage cancercan be found during the surgery.

Depending on your age and if you would want to conceive soon some Drs will try hormonal treatment to reverse the atypia. You would be closely monitored during this time. Also depending on age a gyn-onc might be okay with leaving the ovaries depending on the type of cancer.

As already mentioned a path will be done on all the organs to check for cancer not just the cervix.

Also if you want to you can stop by the Cancer Concerns section of the site to get information from ladies who hve had your diagnosis and more on the cancer spectrum.

Unread 06-01-2013, 11:42 AM

I was diagnosed with complex hyperplasia with atypia after a hysteroscopy in March. I had my LAVH/BSO just last week. Because of the hysteroscopy, they didn't do the biopsy during surgery - since one was done then.

They did a pathology after the fact and it came back with Stage 1 Grade 1 cancer - the earliest stage possible. It's scary, but it is what it is. I am doing fantastic - I will be going back to work in another week, and I know I will be fine at that point.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register