anyone experience weight gain??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anyone experience weight gain??? anyone experience weight gain???

Unread 03-16-2005, 09:41 AM
anyone experience weight gain???

Hello sisters. With spring just around the corner I cant wait to see some flowers soon.
I had a TAH with ovaries out about 1 month ago. I am on HRT and currently taking .01 climara. I noticed that I seem to want to eat more (yikes!). I am very interested in hearing your story about any weight gain after your surgery.

Also, my belly is still swollen. About how long did it take for your stomach to get back to normal? I have some serious pilates to do and hopefully soon.

I wish everyone well.
Ahrang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2005, 01:46 PM

I haven't gained any weight, but then, I haven't lost any either, and have been exercising for the past two months. I still get "swelly belly" in the afternoons and evenings. I rub Traumeel on it (lotion you can get at a supplement store - for arthritis, injury and sprains) and that does help some.
Unread 03-16-2005, 05:39 PM

Hi, just to say something about the weight gain. I am 7 weeks post op and went to the dr last Tuesday for my 6 week check up and had gained 4 pounds. I don't understand why. I guess the inactivity I don't know, but whatever it is I don't like it. And the swelly belly issue, I hate it. I still can't wear my jeans. I put them on today and wore them for about an hour and the made my belly so sore. Went and got out the sweats. I have read alot of posts about it and hopefully one day it will go down. I surely hope so. I am starting to walk when the weather permits and do a few exercises, so hopefully the weight will come off too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2005, 01:42 AM

Hi,

I had a TAH/BSO on 18th October 2004. I was put on HRT patches the day I came home from hospital. At 10days post op I was 10stones and I went for walks almost as soon as I came home from hospital, I never had naps in the afternoon and was verycareful with my diet. The weight gain actualy started when I was more active rather than at the beginning. It's actually 5months today since I had my op and I've gain 18lbs!!!!!!!!!!!

I've actually come off HRT to see if I can loose some weight and gone on a very strict diet!!!

But then again everyone is different. I prepared myself for the possibility of gaining an extra couple of pounds but not 18!!

Shep
Unread 03-18-2005, 08:48 AM

I truly believe that much of the weight gain is actually water gain, from the surgery and swelling. (Hence the "swelly belly")
Unread 03-18-2005, 08:57 AM

I am 8 weeks post-op From TAH and started estratest HS the day of surg. I have gained 6 pounds. I hope now that I'm back at work that will come off. I think some may be water because my hands and feet are a little puffy.

Diana
Unread 03-26-2005, 12:12 PM

2 years ago I also joined the club, ( fibroid was 8 lbs, basketball size). 2 weeks before surgery had no symptoms until horrible pain sent me to emergency room!!!. I was 51 years old than. Cervix was left. I go to the gym at least 4 times a week: take steps, body work, yoga, weights, etc, swim 1 mile daily, don't over eat. Premarin down to a 0.3. and like all of you - gained so far 12 lbs !!!! I will have my thyroid checked this week. A Sonogram found that I have a 2.5 Cervical fibroid. I’m trying to 1 day a week in taking the Prematrin. I do thank you all with the information. Now I know that my symptoms are not so unusual.
Judy
Unread 03-26-2005, 03:58 PM

I have gained about 20 since my surgery five months ago. At first, I was losing, and I was pretty excited about that, since I have a lot to lose. Then, it just started creeping up and up and no matter what I do, it just won't budge! Very frustrating! I am not taking any HRT- though I just started using a natural progesterone cream. I am considering drastic measures to get this extra weight off...like a detox diet and juice fast for an extended time. I feel like a beached whale and I am clumsy and stiff from the weight. I hate feeling like this! I can't wear my regular clothes yet either, as I still have some swelly belly issues, which makes the jeans very uncomfortable on the increased belly. I wish there was some kind of solution to these issues. Sometimes I feel that if I had known how I would feel after the surgery, I would have moved heaven and earth to find a different way to deal with the fibroids and polyps.
Unread 03-26-2005, 07:54 PM

Me too, girls. I don't think there's much of a pattern to this weight gain...Some of us on HRT and some not. Whats up with this. I am in my BIG jeans and alot of my cloths are not fitting. I feel heavy. I think I will try Weight Watcher. The point system is great. Thing to remember...If you eat too little, your body will go into the starvation mode and you metabolism will slow, and for sure you will not loose weight. On weight watchers if you are to eat 24 points, you need to eat 24 points. One girl was saying "I'm not loosing weight and I'm eating less points than I'm suspose to" The W W lady said "Thats why...Eat your points" Oh well, I'm going to try. I just have to be able to eat. but this weight is aweful.
Unread 03-26-2005, 09:23 PM

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you! I am so glad I'm not the only one who has gained weight. I have never been this heavy in my life.....for the longest time I have just been blaming it on swelly belly....which I know some of it still is, but now I'm having to come to reality and face that I really have gained 10+ lbs. My used to be baggy pants are now my snug pants....haven't even tried the jeans yet....too depressing. And I so want to go out and buy cute spring clothes...guess it will just have to be cute tops that are longer and hide the belly this year!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register