Upcoming hysterectomy: Going under biggest fear | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy: Going under biggest fear Upcoming hysterectomy: Going under biggest fear

Unread 02-26-2016, 09:19 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy: Going under biggest fear

I am new here and will be having my hysterectomy March 23 keeping my overies. My biggest fear is being put under. I have had 2 c-sections to recover from which I am sure this will be different, but was awake for both. With this, knowing I will be put under scared me terribly!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortee126 View Post
I am new here and will be having my hysterectomy March 23 keeping my overies. My biggest fear is being put under. I have had 2 c-sections to recover from which I am sure this will be different, but was awake for both. With this, knowing I will be put under scared me terribly!!!
I had my TAH on Dec 9. I also had two previous c-sections. I did have another surgery before this one. Both times I was extremely nervous like you. The anesthesiologist will give you medicine to relax you. I do think the worst part of my surgery was the weeks and days leading up to it because I worried about the surgery. I didn't worry about after and healing, but worried about going under. I can tell you that it went well for me both times. I get where you are coming from. Just tell the doctors your concerns. Good luck to you! I know you'll do well.
Unread 02-27-2016, 06:25 AM

This was my first real surgery, and I was very scared about being put umder, but I was very quickly reassured that everything would be okay. My pre-op screening was quite thorough, and included questions and tests to identify any potential complications, of which there were none. Also remember that your anaesthesiologist is a trained professional, whose main priority is to ensure your safety and comfort. If he knows you're scared, there are things he can do about that, whether it's just spending time talking with you, or giving you medication to calm you. And once you're asleep, he'll be monitoring you very closely to make sure everything's okay; before you know it, you'll be waking up in recovery. So just remember to breathe, and you'll be okay! Best wishes for your upcoming surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2016, 06:57 AM
Re: Going under

This was the 2nd time I've been put under. The first time was for wisdom teeth removal, and I remember it being giggle gas and that was slow but pleasant. For my hysterectomy, when I walked into the OR, I freaked out, but when I laid down on the table, One nurse grabbed my right arm to take blood pressure, and the anesthetist grabbed my left arm, gave me a shot of Novocain which I didn't feel very much. I then felt the pressure of the IV and he started asking me about where i live, and the next thing I know, Im waking up in a daze in the recovery room. I must've went out like a light. My personal biggest fear was the IV, but I kind've welcome anesthesia because it allows my body to rest a heck of a lot better than I can on my own. I would rather put under than feel the pain too.
Although in the future, I think I'm going to hate the catheter more. It was horrible not knowing if i had to pee, and getting it taken out wasn't pleasant in the slightest. My peeing is still a problem but its slowly going back to normal.
Unread 02-28-2016, 01:04 AM

Hello and welcome to HysterSisters.

I had surgery in Friday 2/26 so I can totally relate to going under.

All these thoughts happen...what if this happens, what if that happens.

I asked anesthesiologist firm tongue me medicine in IV to help me relax.

They rolled me into the OR room and I had to switch tables. They then put the mask on but I was relaxed and surprisingly comforted by what music they were playing in OR which was Miley Cyrus Party in USA. 😂

I began to dance a little to the beat and that helped me relaxed more. I didn't count to ten and I woke up in recovery.

One thing hat helped is to tea time each day and visualize you going through surgery from beginning to end and then you will have less bad thoughts. It will take some getting used to.

I hope this helps you out.

Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery!! 😊
Unread 02-29-2016, 12:44 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy: Going under biggest fear

I was awake for my hysterectomy. I had a vaginal hysterectomy April 2011. Before my surgery, I was asked if I had acid reflux. I said I get it every night. I guess this could have been seen as a danger as the decision was made to give me an epidural and some laughing gas for the procedure. It was over in less than 20 min.
Unread 02-29-2016, 02:46 AM

I can relate to your fears....my surgery is tomorrow morning and I will be given general anesthesia. I haven't slept a wink tonight because I can't shut my brain off. This time tomorrow morning I will be getting ready to go to the hospital. I already have my full day today planned out, so now it's going to be an even longer day for me due to not sleeping! It figures! LOL I guess the good thing about them putting me out is that it MAKES me sleep. I'm sure we'll be fine. I have several friends who have been through this, and they keep telling me that while it's a major surgery, the worst part of it is actually the gas pains afterwards while healing and the waiting period between finding out you have to have one and actually having the surgery.

There are some great ladies on this site who are very supportive. You'll love it here!
Unread 03-08-2016, 08:04 PM

Thank you all for your support and encouragement! I have been going through a roller coaster of emotions as the date gets closer! Wishing you all well!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register