Morphine Pump | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Morphine Pump Morphine Pump

Unread 01-19-2002, 06:42 AM
Morphine Pump

Hi Ladies

Tuesday the 22nd of Jan is the day....I am okay with pain, but am really afraid of it now. My told me I will get morphine pump. I have never heard about what they are like and how princess' use them. :confuse: Any information about them will be very helpful.

Thank you all for your prayers and support. :usflag:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2002, 06:55 AM
Morphine Pump

The morphine pump is morphine thru your IV.........they give you a little thing that fits in your hand (or clips to the sheets or pillow) with a button on it. When you feel pain you push the button and it gives you morphine. I believe it is limited so it can only give you so much. After my surgery I would nap for a while, wake up with some pain, push the button, and go back to sleep within 10 minutes and sleep again for a few hours, wake up and hit the button again. I only kept the morphine pump for about 24 hours, they took it away because I wasn't using it, the pain wasn't that bad to me, but some of the women need it for longer and that's ok too.
Pain is a totally individual thing and no one can tell how badly someone else is hurting. I didn't think the pain from my hyst (TAH/BSO 1/5/01) was all that bad -- it seemed like I had had periods that were worse -- but I have dealt with trigeminal neuralgia for years that is extrememely painful and have kinda learned to live with it. Just remember however it is for you that it will not be forever, and hopefully when you're all recovered you will feel much better and it will all be worth it.
Good luck with your surgery --
Peachy
cyst, fibroids, endo, adeno, adhesions
.625 premarin, progesterone cream
Unread 01-19-2002, 07:11 AM
Morphine Pump

Sarah Ann,

I've had a morphine pump twice - once for a c-section, and then for my hyst at the end of Nov.

The pump allows you to control when you receive pain meds. You are allowed to give yourself a dose - via the IV - at a controlled rate - usually every 10-15 mins. It allows for a more even distribution of the meds when YOU need it.

I LOVED the pump for my c-section. It worked great. I was looking forward to it again for my hyst. But, for my hyst I had a problem with the IV - I have small veins and the IV infiltrated - so I didn't get the relief I was hoping for. BUT, like I said, I loved it when I had c-section. Just didn't work this time. Most people like the pump, but you'll probably get lots of different replies.

The most important thing is, if it isn't working and you aren't getting any pain relief, DON'T be afraid to ask for something else. You do NOT have to be in pain!

Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2002, 10:02 AM
Hmmmm...

I've had the pump twice, or maybe three times, I can't remember... I've had three major surgeries so it's all begining to run together.

I DO remember the first time it was wonderful. I hit it whenever I needed it and didn't have a complaint.

But LAST year was another story... I was awake every 20 minutes to a half hour. Just when I fell asleep it felt I was waking up!!!! So I was a little, ehem,

So I guess it depends on a lot of factors. This time I'm getting a continuous drip of something. At least for that first night so I can SLEEP in PEACE!

Cyster Ter :dragon:
Unread 01-20-2002, 06:39 PM
Morphine Pump

Hello 1/22 sister - me too! I am aving the pump too, and was scared of nausea, Dr. is going to give me something for that. one more day to get organized! We will do great!!!
jo
Unread 01-20-2002, 06:50 PM
Morphine Pump

I have only had one experience with the pump... I loved mine... lol... I was able to use it every 15 minutes.. but I didnt need it that often.. I didnt want to use too much... but then the dr told me that there was no way I could use too much.. it was regulated... he told me to use it about 5 minutes before I was going to get up to go for a walk.. that really helped .. it didnt seem to make me sleepy... good luck with your surgery... keeping you in my prayers...Sondra

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register