Scheduled TAH Will I be able to...? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will I be able to...? Will I be able to...?

Unread 01-26-2014, 10:56 PM
Will I be able to...?

Okay, this is the grossest question ever. But, here goes. I'm overweight. 5'6" and 195 lbs. My stomach is where I hold 90% of my weight. Like a lot of us here. I'm hoping that getting my 14cm cyst out will help with that.

I'm just wondering if I'll be able to reach from the front to wipe myself after I poop? I never go from the back right now, I always reach from the front. With a TAH am I going to be able to do that or should I practice for the next 2 days a different way? Ugh. This is embarrassing to ask. But what will be even more embarrassing is if my DH has to do it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2014, 08:04 AM
Re: Will I be able to...?

Every question is a valid one. And for every person who asks, there is often several more wondering the same thing! I would practice wiping from the back, just in case. You will have your tummy in front and it will likely be swollen from the surgery and tender from the abdominal incision.

Constipation is a big concern post op, so buy some stool softeners for when you get home. Start taking them ASAP after surgery. The meds are constipating and the anesthetic makes our intestines sluggish. The last thing you want to do is bear down or push too hard post op. I also bought moist wipes to use on my bottom (rather than toilet paper) and I was glad I did.

Wishing you all the best!
Unread 01-27-2014, 08:15 AM

You also might want a small stool in the bathroom so you could put one foot on and help you reach. I have always had the same problem. Have short arms and some extra weight It is really difficult going from the front( which is what I have always done) when you are out and have heavy winter coat on. I agree with sugarandspice all question are valid. Good luck for your surgery.
Prayers & hugs,
Anndy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2014, 08:23 AM

Remember whichever way you start, go from vagina to rectum. You don't want to introduce bacteria to the vaginal area. Good luck.
Unread 01-27-2014, 12:16 PM

I second the wet wipes and stool softeners!
Unread 01-27-2014, 12:26 PM
Will I be able to...?

I'm built like a T-Rex; short arms and a big belly. I usually reach around behind me and wipe from front to back through my legs. I actually found it easier to wipe from the front pushing back due to my bikini line incision. I only had to do it that way for a few days. And the Colace I've been on since the day after surgery didn't help me at all. I was in terrible shape until I started taking Miralax. It will probably be a few days after surgery before you'll even need to have a BM and hopefully by then you can wipe the way you're used to. I had a minimum 14cm cyst on my right ovary that ended up weighing 3 1/2 pounds. I've lost about 6 lbs total but I can't really tell because of the swelling.
Unread 01-27-2014, 01:39 PM

I'm glad you've asked the question, it's not something I'd considered, but now I have a couple more items on my shopping list to get - so thank you for asking
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:55 PM

:-) Thanks everyone. I'm sure I've over analyzed everything that could happen. This is going to be a breeze compared to what I've imagined. In 36 hours my life will change. What happens will happen no matter what I do. So glad I found this group. I'll try to get back on as soon as I can after surgery to boost everyone else! I'm really hoping this thing weighs 3.5 lbs Catstanzi! I have visions of it being a tiny speck even though ultrasounds and CT scans have shown it to be more.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register