4 week post hysterectomy appointment | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 week post hysterectomy appointment 4 week post hysterectomy appointment

Unread 01-06-2017, 06:50 AM
4 week post hysterectomy appointment

Well I have made it. Four weeks. It has been long and fast. This week I feel so drained and when I sit upright I get cramps. Is this normal. My mind is racing with all of the different questions that I want to ask you Dr. Has anyone ever had the BRAC testing. I am thinking about having this done. My daddy had two sisters who passed away of ovarian cancer, my mother had breastfeeding cancer and my daddy had prostrate cancer. I have polycystic breastfeeding ( lumpy breastfeeding as the Dr said).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2017, 11:54 AM
Re: 4 week post op appointment

Keep a pad of paper handy and write down all your questions and concerns as you think of them. Take this to your post op appointment and just go down the list. Most doctors do not mind this and are happy to answer all questions. If your doc seems to be in a hurry, ask when you can come back to go through your list. Here is an article with suggestions:

Questions for Your Post Op Appt

Ask your doctor for the BRCA testing if you're concerned. Depending on where you live they may or may not do it. Even though I have breast cancer, my oncologist won't do BRCA testing, as I don't have any other risk factors (over 40yrs, no family history).

I also had a TVH and at 4 weeks I was still very fatigued and sore. I wasn't cleared to return to work until 8 weeks post op. Wishing you luck with your post op!

Unread 01-07-2017, 10:17 AM
4 week post hysterectomy appointment

Hi there.. well done you... I am 3 weeks post hysterectomy so I am not far behind you. I came on this great site because I was worried that I have taken a step backwards in my progress. I had laparascopic surgery and I felt pretty amazing afterward except when I sneezed or did too much, but now I am getting more twinges of pain all the time, although to be fair I am quite active. After reading all the experiences I conclude that I was expecting way too much too soon.

Anyway I thought I would share my BRCA knowledge as that is what has led me here really. My surgery was cancer preventative in the main. It could have just been ovary removal but I opted for total hysterectomy for other factors.

In 2015 aged 39 I found a breast lump which was cancer and I had all the treatment (chemo, surgery, radiation, ongoing hormonal therapy). Thankfully I am very well now. With my family history of mother's ovarian cancer and two aunts with breast cancer 20 plus years ago it was pretty obvious on paper that a BRCA test was in order, and indeed the result turned out to be BRCA2.

I am glad the test was recommended to me as part of my treatment plan because even with all of that family history I thought BRCA was quite rare and I didn't put the two things together until it hit me in the face. If I could only turn back the clock!

If the BRCA gene issue is there, there is something like a 50% chance of it being passed on and it can be passed on through the male as well as the female line. My two uncles were tested and they turned out to be negative leaving their families in the clear which is a wonderful relief to them. If there is a surviving family member higher up the family tree that could be tested, it makes more sense to test them as it won't get passed on if they don't have it. The test is simple, just a blood test.

I am not sure if it is cost related, or if it's to prevent undue stress but the medical profession seem very reluctant to test if there is no clear family history. From what you say there seems to be some history and if I were you I would seek advice and consider it. I am not medically trained but I am speaking from my own experience which I would not want anyone to go through. Prevention although it is radical is a much better option than the cure. When faced with cancer the superficials become a lot less important. Plus surgery without a problem is a lot less complex than when there is one. They will not go ahead and test without what they call genetic counselling first where all the risk stats and questions can be discussed and worked out. Everyone is different.

I hope I have helped rather than scared you. I wish you luck with making that hard decision and if I can be any more help let me know.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register