Pre-Op Testing - I.V.P. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Testing - I.V.P. Pre-Op Testing - I.V.P.

Unread 11-05-2003, 08:59 PM
Pre-Op Testing - I.V.P.

So, Nov. 19 is right around the corner and every time I think about it, I just want to vomit!! I have my pre-op on Friday. I just found my instruction sheet for my bowel prep for the IVP. What exactly is a low residue breakfast?? I'm starving now as it is and now I'm reading that I'm basically on a liquid diet until noon Friday!!

So what will this magnesium citrate and tridrate tablets do to me? I've had a colonoscopy done before and the prep was horrible. I really hope that this won't be a repeat performance. Should I plan on bathroom runs all night or will this be pretty quick and finished early in the evening?

Anyone out there have any suggestions for me or experiences that they would like to share?

Thanks in advance............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2003, 09:55 PM
Pre-Op Testing - I.V.P.

i have had 6 or 7 ivp's in the past (mostly in the past 2 years). why do you need an ivp before your surgery???? mine were all due to problems i have with my kidney and my right ureter.

my prep for all my ivp's were a light breakfast and nothing to eat after 2 pm the day before. i had to take just 2 dulcolox pills and drink tons of water after 2pm to clean out my colon. i never really knew why since they were only looking at my kidney, ureter and bladder.

good luck to you.

debbie
Unread 11-05-2003, 10:33 PM
Pre-Op Testing - I.V.P.

between the mag citrate and the pills, you will be thoroughly cleaned out for your IVP..i had the same prep before my IVP a few months back...plan on staying home once you start the prep, as i'm sure you learned from when you had the colonoscopy...(they want you cleaned out for an IVP due to the fact that if the bowels, intestines, etc are full it could block the view of the bladder, kidneys, and ureters.)....just my experience, however i was in the bathroom before finishing 4ozs (of 8ozs) of the mag citrate, and was still going to the bathroom the morning of my IVP...my only advice is not to make any plans for the day you have to do to the prep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2003, 07:14 AM
Pre-Op Testing - I.V.P.

The next morning (tomorrow) was exactly what I was afraid of!! I have a 45 minute drive to the doctor and a meeting with him BEFORE I even go over to the hospital for my IVP. This is going to be interesting. Not to mention that my in-laws are coming down tonight to sleep over and entertain my children tomorrow while I'm out.

I guess I need to just sit back, count to 10 and just laugh!! (They were here for the night of my colonoscopy prep - so hopefully they're used to the all-night flushing.)

I'm still not sure about what I can eat. I'll have to be bad just once and drink my coffee this morning or I'll be a raving b**** all day.

My hubby was able to postpone some meetings and will be spending the day as my chauffer.

I believe that since I'm having a TAH they just want a picture of where the ureters are located. My doc has all his patients do the IVP - another doc in his office doesn't - I guess they're all different.

Thanks for the replies..........

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register