Hard choices! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hard choices! Hard choices!

Unread 12-13-2003, 02:04 PM
Hard choices!

Three years ago I visited this site frequently as I was thinking about a myomectomy/hysterectomy to get rid of some very painful fibroids. I ended up choosing the myomectomy and was very pleased with the choice. A few months later, I had new fibroids. Now, my biggest one is in a bad spot right behind my uterus down low and while not hurting is causing some different sorts of problems. The doctor says its time for it to go. He's kind enough to say another myomectomy is fine, but says a hysterectomy is the way to go. I'm 40, never been married, and am really struggling with choices. Three years ago after the decision was made I just knew that the next time I'd have a hysterectomy, but that was MUCH easier to say when I was thinking it might be 10 years away or something. But, when the words came out of the doctor's mouth I almost immediately said I'd go for the myomectomy. In fact, I'm scheduled for one in January, but did find out I can change to a hysterectomy up to the pre-op.

The doctor wants to take my ovaries because my sister had ovarian cancer if he does the hysterectomy. At this point, I'm thinking that children aren't likely to be in my future. And, I'm assuming (doctor agrees) that more fibroids are likely to come along again pretty quickly since they did before. But, perhaps this is my excuse, but I'm worried about heart disease. There's lots of it in my family and I liked the idea of keeping my ovaries for that reason. I'm guessing that my sister's ovarian cancer trumps that.

Tuesday when I found out about this I was 100% myomectomy, now I'm almost leaning slightly to the hysterectomy side - barely. I'm just afraid I'll mourn the loss of my uterus since I haven't had kids even thought I realize that I might not would have anyway. I love kids and really enjoy my nieces. I'd just rather mourn BEFORE the surgery when I can do something about it than afterwards when it'll be too late.

Any advise on how you walked through these decisions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2003, 05:56 PM
Hard choices!

Hi civilgal,

I'm very sorry that you are facing more surgery sooner than you had expected it to be. I had my hysterectomy for a different reason, but I did put it off until I was completely sure that there were no other viable options available to me.

Is your doctor recommending the hyst because he feels that you'll need it very soon anyway? Have you gotten a second (or even a third) opinion? No one can make your decision for you, of course, and it is a very hard decision to make, so if you aren't ready, and if there's no medical reason that you must have a hyst, then maybe you should go with your first inclination, and have the myomectomy, knowing that it's an interim measure.

Have you found the HS Resource Forum yet? https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...s=&forumid=159

Here is a quote from one of the resource websites:

Quote:
Fibroids may return after surgery.
25% of women have regrowth of fibroids within 5 years.
15% of women who give birth after myomectomy have regrowth of fibroids within 10 years.
30% of women have regrowth within 10 years (30%).
Regrowth risk is lower when a single fibroid is removed.
Regrowth risk increases until menopause is completed.
Here is the link I copied that from: http://12.31.13.84/library/healthgui...?HWID=hw182148

I'm sure others will be along soon with personal experiences to share with you. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers as you continue to research and decide what's best for you at this time. Please keep us posted.

's
Unread 12-13-2003, 06:18 PM
Hard choices!

Thanks, KDeit. Guess I'm up to 4 doctors now saying I need to do it, but only one GYN this go 'round. My doctor would me more than happy to do another myomectomy - in fact, I'm the one who asked about hysterectomy instead. He said clearly that is the definitive cure. I've dealt with bleeding issues for years now and my family doctor has always said I just need to end it - I'll be healthier - easy for him to say. The radiologist was the first one to say that the fibroid needs to go this time - not exactly her forte' but I figured her "concern for malignant degeneration" comment swang the pendulum to the lets get it out 'cuz I've had so much recent growth. Clearly I need to do something because of the symptoms - even if they are vastly different from the ones I had 3 years ago.

I'm going to make an appointment for another consultation with my doctor about the surgery to specifically discuss hysterectomy this time. Guess I'm making progress to know that - yes, I really do need to do something now.

Yep - the stats are interesting. When you hear 25% get the fibroids back within 5 years, you just assume (wrong thing to do I know) that you're not likely to get 'em back (in multiples) in significantly less than a year! Oh well...guess I've improved the statistics for others.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register