Pain from fibroids an what makes them grow? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain from fibroids an what makes them grow? Pain from fibroids an what makes them grow?

Unread 03-23-2005, 07:58 AM
Pain from fibroids an what makes them grow?

I have a fibroid the size of a grapefruit that was the size of a golfball before my thermachoice ablation last August 2004. Does anyone know what makes them grow? I went to the doctor last week thinking I had an ovarian cyst on my right ovary. I ovulated on a Thursday and the next day I was bleeding and bled lightly for 4-5 days. I kept hurting so bad in my side and called and asked if a ovarian cyst could cause bleeding. The lady who answered said women usually have trouble with a cyst during ovlation and could cause bleeding. My doctor wanted me to come in and be checked. When he examined me, I told him it hurt when he pressed on me. Usually it doesn't. He said I think your fibroids are growing, let's do an ultrasound. Sure enough it had grown. They were always the same size before my ablation and now it has grown. I knew that things were getting worse instead of better after the ablation. Does anyone know if having your uterus cleaned out can make the fibroid grow bigger? My lower back pain has always been a problem, but now it is constant every day! I have to bring heating pad with me to work.
After the ultrasound, I passed a lot of brown blood. I wondered if it punctured the fibroid.
Anyway he suggested I go ahead and have a hysterectomy even though I've tried to put it off. I haven't thought about a second opinion because I think he is right this time. I become anemic very easily. My last two periods were very heavy and lasted 7-9 days each. Plus I was wondering if I don't have one then would this large fibroid continue to grow. If so then my back would only get worse and I couldn't tolerate that. I have to go to the bathroom constantly. I also have interstitial cystitis which makes the bladder situation worse. I have a tentative date scheduled for May 18th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2005, 08:08 AM

Hi chaychay - Sorry you sound so miserable! (reminds me of me! - but not anymore!) To answer your question, yes - fibroids do grow, and sometimes very quickly. I don't know if you've been using BCP's (estrogen) to try to stop the flow, but that is like throwing fuel on the fire - they can really take off and grow after that.

We were having a discussion about this just yesterday on another thread. Here's the link to it, and it may help answer more of your questions: Fibroid 'symptoms'

Hope you'll be feeling better soon!
S
joano
Unread 03-23-2005, 11:53 AM

Hi ChayChay,

I agree with Joano. Estrogen is a major reason for fibroid growth. Some of us ladies just have a lot of it, I guess!!

Also, do fibroids run in the females in your family?? Some Drs think there is a link. My Mom has had small fibroids and got to menopause without having surgery. My sister had a mycomectomy a few years ago for a grapefruit sized fibroid. And my other sister just had a UFE. So...in my opinion, a family link.

From what I have read about uterine fibroids, they "feed" off the blood supply in the uterus. Some fibroids can cause a change in periods and some do not.

I had similar symptoms to you. 24/7 pelvic pressure, some back aches and bladder incontinence up the ying-yang. My Dr. attibuted the symptoms to my fibroids.

My fibroids actually grew very fast. Between two annual exams. It seems like some ladies have slow growing and some ladies have fast growing.

It sounds like you trust your Dr. and I could still suggest you get a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion. A hyst is MAJOR surgery. Drs. can have varying opinions on diagnosis and what type of hyst is best for fibroids. My 1st Dr. wanted to do a TAH and my 2nd Dr., a LSH. It can always help to have more information to make a good decision for yourself.

Best wishes. We fibroid-ladies are here to help if we can.

Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register