New here - scheduled for a Da Vinci tomorrow am! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here - scheduled for a Da Vinci tomorrow am! New here - scheduled for a Da Vinci tomorrow am!

Unread 01-24-2013, 01:32 PM
New here - scheduled for a Da Vinci tomorrow am!

Hi there,
I wish I had found you ladies sooner- I am sitting at home waiting for the bowel prep to kick in and trying not to panic utterly about my surgery at 7:30 tomorrow am! It is great to know that I am not alone. I'm a teacher and was only able to schedule about ten days off work- am I going to be okay going back that soon? My doctor makes it sound like this is very minor- like pulling a tooth. But seeing what is posted here I am worried the recovery might be harder than I thought!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Re: New here - scheduled for a Da Vinci tomorrow am!

It's not a minor surgery. It's definitely a major surgery. That said, I've read posts by some ladies who were able to return to work in a couple weeks, but those seem to be among the rare ones, but it's not undoable. We all heal differently. My surgery was similar to the Da Vinci, but no robot. I'm healing at almost the same rate as others who had Da Vinci's at about the same time as my surgery. I wouldn't have been able to go to work in 10 days. For me, i would have needed three weeks. The more time you can give yourself the better. I'm at 4.5 weeks and still get tired easily. If I were you, I'd try to schedule more time off if you can. Good luck!
Unread 01-24-2013, 02:11 PM

Hi Kathywb,
That is the beauty of the site is knowing you are not alone. I did not have a Da Vinci, I had a LAVH and my doctor also made it sound very minor. The surgery procedure itself is probably minor to them but on our bodies it can be rough. I am 5 weeks post op and while I have had a easy recovery compared to others at 2 weeks I could not have imagined going back to work. My mother in law on the other hand went back in 1 week. So everybody is different. I went back to work 4 weeks out (we had same type of hyster). Just listen to your body and do what is best for you. You only have one chance to heal. Hope this babbling helps in some way. LOL

Good Luck!!
Brina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2013, 02:30 PM

Thanks, ladies, I guess I will have to see how it goes and hope for the best!
Unread 01-24-2013, 02:51 PM

A friend of mine went back to work in 2 weeks. I'm going back in 4. My Cousin went back in 6. It's major surgery. I'm 2 days post op & feeling pretty good. Don't push yourself.
Unread 01-24-2013, 03:26 PM

I'm 10 days post-op from a Da Vinci and I got worn out by running a few errands today. I think some of it has to do with what kind of shape you're in beforehand and how much you've been exercising prior to surgery. I'm 42, I haven't been exercising since the summer and am a little overweight, so I'm probably not the person who was going to bounce back quite as quickly. I would definitely see if you can get more time off, but if not, just plan on sitting down a lot and giving low key assignments (if that's possible, depending on grade). Good luck and see you on the other side!
Unread 01-24-2013, 05:51 PM

I'm just over 2 weeks out, and I feel pretty good, but I am just really tired! I have other health issues that keep me from working, so I guess I am not much help... You may want to schedule the 2 weeks off, but then talk about just going back 1/2 days for a week or 2 after... If you feel good and can handle it, you can always work more, I am sure, but better safe than sorry!
Unread 01-24-2013, 06:33 PM

I am almost 3 weeks out of surgery and there is no way I am ready to go back to work. I am in decent shape, worked out before surgery but am a little over weight. My doctor also did not make it seem like this was major surgery but it most definitely is. I had three prior surgeries, ovary & tube removals, and the recovery was way easier than this one. I know not everyone recovers the same but I think I will need the full 6 weeks to feel better.
I wish you the best with your surgery and wish you a speedy recovery!!
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:16 PM

Surgeons as a general rule tend to grossly underestimate the recovery time needed after they do their work!

On the outside as far as pain and such, I felt like I could've gone back to work after 10 days. I am a fit, healthy mom so I was shocked by the extent of the fatigue. If you could somehow arrange for a gradual return to work i.e. just work half days for the first week, then it would really be good.

*Can* you do it ? Well, yes.....

*Should* you do it ? If you can help it, probably not. Rest! Enjoy..let your body heal!
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:37 PM

Hi Kathywb. I had a DVH/BSO on Nov 19th. My surgery went very well and I didn't have any complications with my recovery. I followed my discharge instructions to the tee. No lifting, limited stair use, got up and walked, etc. I am 54 and have a few health issues, and I had 6 weeks off from work. I had hoped to go back after four, but was still having severe fatigue and insomnia. You will really need to follow your Dr's orders carefully and get moving as you can as my Dr said that really will help your body heal. Hope your surgery helps you as much as mine. Within the first week I realized my severe pelvic, abdominal, and back pain were gone. I also no longer have to run to the bathroom all the time - had multiple fibroids with one exceptionally huge one. Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register