Fallopian tube removal and ablation to cure anemia? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fallopian tube removal and ablation to cure anemia? Fallopian tube removal and ablation to cure anemia?

Unread 03-07-2016, 11:46 AM
Fallopian tube removal and ablation to cure anemia?

My primary care NP has been treating me for iron-deficiency anemia since early 2013 – supplements in all forms did not work, and I’ve been receiving regular iron transfusions for over a year now, but any increase in my iron levels is short-lived. She feels that the anemia is caused by heavy periods, since I don’t have other health issues, such as digestive problems. My periods are only somewhat heavy (1 pad every 1-2 hours during the heaviest 12 hours of it); they are very regular and last about 3 days. She told me that my best bet to cure the anemia is to stop the monthly bleeding, and sent me to my GYN (Dr. A), who said that my options were hysterectomy or endometrial ablation.

I told Dr. A that I really do not want to remove any organs, unless absolutely necessary, although I am 44 years old and do not plan on having any more children. He sent me to a gynecologist-oncologist for a second opinion, who recommended that if I did not want the hysterectomy, then I should go with the ablation. This doctor also said that I would not have to be concerned with birth control, since even if an egg were to be fertilized, there would not be an appropriate environment in the uterus for implantation, after the ablation. So I went back to Dr. A to schedule the ablation, and he said that before I can have it done, I must have my Fallopian tubes removed (not just “tied”), and then the ablation can be done 3-4 weeks later. He said that a tubal ligation is not as reliable for permanent birth control as tube removal, and also that tube removal is considered to be a preventative for ovarian cancer (for which I am not in a high risk category).

I am scheduled for pelviscopic removal of both Fallopian tubes on April 4, but I really do not want to have this surgery – I don’t understand why tubal ligation isn’t enough – and I feel that if I’m going to go through a surgical organ removal and recovery, then I might be better off going with the hysterectomy, rather than having the tube removal AND an ablation, as well. Right now, I’m inclined to refuse all surgeries, and just wait for menopause to end the bleeding, since the bleeding is not severe enough to affect my daily life.

Has anyone else had a hysterectomy or endometrial ablation to cure anemia, and was it successful?

Were you required to have your tubes removed, as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2016, 03:57 PM
Re: Fallopian tube removal and ablation to cure anemia?

Please read on ablation syndrome symptoms or post ablation tubal ligation syndrome. As I'm confused why the doctor would want to remove your fallopian tubes, when it can cause problems with an ablation...
Unread 03-11-2016, 06:15 PM
Fallopian tube removal and ablation to cure anemia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea2u View Post
Please read on ablation syndrome symptoms or post ablation tubal ligation syndrome. As I'm confused why the doctor would want to remove your fallopian tubes, when it can cause problems with an ablation...
Sweetpea, thank you for mentioning this! I had not come across post ablation tubal ligation syndrome yet in my reading. Now that I've read a little about it, I can see why ligation is not preferable to removing the tubes prior to an ablation. And I'm hearing so many negatives about ablation, even by itself, and it's after-effects. In several articles, I have also read that ablations should not be done on women who have had C-sections (I've had two), due to higher risk of complications.

So I'm glad that I cancelled my upcoming Fallopian tube removal. I need more information before I can decide on a course of action. I'm thinking of getting a third, and maybe even a fourth, opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2016, 09:20 PM
Re: Fallopian tube removal and ablation to cure anemia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea2u View Post
One of the reasons for removing the fallopian tubes with/before an ablation is to prevent post ablation tubal sterilization syndrome.

Because a pregnancy after an ablation can be dangerous for both mother and child, many doctors do an ablation in conjunction with some type of permanent birth control. Depending on the pros and cons, removing the tubes (salpingectomy) can be the best option for some women.

In addition, it is believed that ovarian cancer starts in the fallopian tubes, so if some type of permanent birth control is needed, it makes sense to remove the tubes and kill two birds with one stone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket307
So I'm glad that I cancelled my upcoming Fallopian tube removal. I need more information before I can decide on a course of action. I'm thinking of getting a third, and maybe even a fourth, opinion.
If you are not comfortable with the plan, another opinion is a good idea. I would also suggest you ask more specific questions about why a doctor would recommend removal of your tubes, pros and cons of the various types of ablations, etc. My BF had a Novasure ablation several years ago because of anemia issues and she has had no problems and her anemia issues was resolved. My SIL also had an ablation years ago with no regrets.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register