lupron pre-op experiences | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

lupron pre-op experiences lupron pre-op experiences

Unread 08-02-2012, 11:09 AM
lupron pre-op experiences

hi, darlings-
so, at my first surgical consult yesterday, the dr recommended i try lupron to shrink my huge (15cm) and multiple fibroids and my 25/26-week uterus before surgery. she also referred me to another dr who does davinci, but said he might also suggest it.

i've gone through the lupron posts and i'm still confused - can anyone who's had lupron reply with your experience, good OR bad? i'm concerned about dealing with the side effects and whether or not you actually saw shrinkage that made your surgery easier.

i'd be grateful for your experiences - thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Re: lupron pre-op experiences

I have done Lupron a few times though I am still pre-op. It was wonderful as far as shrinking my fibroids and my uterus size BUT the side effects were a dozy for me. It was like instant menopause and my poor husband and I were in an environment where it was very hard to get away from each other to cool off after a spat. (we were deployed in Iraq) I can' tell you if it will help for the surgery but I hope this helps a little. Good Luck!!
Unread 08-02-2012, 11:29 AM

Hi, I have used lupron twice, once in 2001 before a myomectomy. Still had a vertical incision but davinci was not in use then.

I just did it again for my hysterectomy. My only side effects were a bit of a headache at first, then hot flashes and some fatigue and hair loss. Nothing unmanageable. However it I'd not seem o shrink the fibroids much.

My hysterectomy was converted from davinci to full vertical incision due to severe adhesions and other complications.

Sometimes lupron works, sometimes not. I think it was worth the shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2012, 12:00 PM

I've been on Lupron three times now, and my only real problem with it was the hot flashes. Mostly I just flopped in front of a fan for a while. I also wanted to eat the entire contents of the Publix bakery, but I still dropped fifteen pounds, so that was more an inconvenience than anything else.

Other than that...my pain levels (I have severe endometriosis) lowered drastically, and compared to how I felt/feel off Lupron, it was GREAT. My doctor saw significant shrinkage of endometriomas, but I'm not sure how helpful that will be in your case. Generally, though, my experience was great. I say go for it.
Unread 08-02-2012, 12:48 PM

Penaguin, WIGal1266, Opalimne-

thanks so much for replying, its very, very helpful.

i combed through the lurpron threads again and realized that i never told my gyno that, 25 years ago, i took birth control for 3, count'em, 3 days and got 2 skull-crushing migraines....and that those who have had this reaction either couldn't tolerate or were forbidden to take lupron.

i'd be grateful for any more reactions - thanks so much again, sisters.
Unread 08-02-2012, 02:19 PM

Personally, it apparently doesn't agree with my body. I've only had one shot and took norethindrone (aygestin)as "add back". The psychological changes have been horrible and I've had vision effects. I've no idea if it has helped shrink my fibroids, as I've only been on it almost a month. My bleeding didn't completely stop. It does work well for so many, but the effects aren't worth it for me.
Unread 08-02-2012, 04:24 PM

I was on Lupron for 6 months. My periods were 25 days long for the first 3 months then it stopped for 8 month. The side effects were not good but it did help with pain from endo. Once all the Lupron cleared my system, I got my cycle back with vengence. Very heavy bleeding, something I never had. One trip to the ER revealed I now have fibroids, thus why I am getting a hysterectomy now. Oh one other important thing, its been two years since Lupron and still have some of the side effects.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register