Scheduled TVH Scared of breathing tube for hysterectomy | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared of breathing tube for hysterectomy Scared of breathing tube for hysterectomy

Unread 08-09-2014, 07:38 PM
Scared of breathing tube for hysterectomy

i just found out I'll have a breathing tube inserted during my hysterectomy. I know that sounds stupid but, I've NEVER had any surgeries before.

Will they take OUT the breathing tube BEFORE I wake up?!

I'm scared of waking up with it in and them removing it while I'm awake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenDreams View Post
i just found out I'll have a breathing tube inserted during my hysterectomy. I know that sounds stupid but, I've NEVER had any surgeries before.

Will they take OUT the breathing tube BEFORE I wake up?!

I'm scared of waking up with it in and them removing it while I'm awake
Oh boy, I am having a TAH...I wonder if I will have a breathing tube, also. Hmmm, I guess I really don't care, as long as I don't have to see it or feel while I am awake, either!!!
Unread 08-09-2014, 08:22 PM
Re: Scared of breathing tube for hysterectomy

They take out the breathing tube before you are awake enough to register what's happening or remember. I was worried about this, too, but I woke up only after the tube had been out about an hour. I'm sure there are exceptions, like with ICU patients, but for routine surgeries you won't be aware of the tube.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyown View Post
They take out the breathing tube before you are awake enough to register what's happening or remember. I was worried about this, too, but I woke up only after the tube had been out about an hour. I'm sure there are exceptions, like with ICU patients, but for routine surgeries you won't be aware of the tube.
Thank you sista!!
Unread 08-09-2014, 08:29 PM

They removed mine before I woke up😊 I was nervous about having it to but I never even knew it was there. Good luck on your up coming surgery
Unread 08-09-2014, 08:39 PM

If you have a tube, it will be put in once you are asleep and taken out before you are fully away.
I had one and have no recollection at all.
Don't worry. You won't remember a thing!
Unread 08-09-2014, 08:44 PM

Breathing tubes are common for all general anesthesia surgeries. I know the breathing tubes are inserted and removed prior to full consciousness. You may find that your throat will be a little sore or irritated after however. Caterers are another story. If you are staying inpatient they may leave it in the first night and remove it the next working. It doesn't hurt terribly to have it removed. Just slightly uncomfortable.
Unread 08-09-2014, 08:58 PM

Awesome thank you all so much!

This eases my mind completely

I feel stronger and more ready talking to you all.
Unread 08-10-2014, 11:12 AM

I was told I'd have a breathing tube and catheter put in AFTER I fell asleep and both would be removed before I woke up. I was told that a breathing tube is mandatory because you're unable to breathe on your own when you're under anesthetic. My throat was sore and irritated and for 'lunch' they gave me HOT coffee, HOT broth, and an acidic cherry italian icee. I couldn't get any of it down, it made my throat 100 times worse. I finally spoke up about it and they brought me some jello and vanilla ice cream. I also had a bump on my lip in the corner, they're not sure if it was caused by the position of the tube or if I had a reaction (I get marks for weeks just from using a bandaid on anything other than my finger). It went away within 24 hours. The first couple of days of using the toilet it would burn because of the catheter being in too.

~Michele
Unread 08-10-2014, 11:26 AM

I had a breathing tube. It's common for all surgeries just in case. No worries, wasn't a big deal at all. I don't even remember it. However I did develop thrush a few days later.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register