Compression Stockings after hysterectomy | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Compression Stockings after hysterectomy Compression Stockings after hysterectomy

Unread 08-12-2014, 06:26 PM
Compression Stockings after hysterectomy

I just remembered my Dr. saying I would need to wear compression stockings right after surgery to help with blood flow and prevent blood from clotting. Anyone have experience with these and what can I expect. Do they actually squeeze your legs by electronics or how exactly do they work while you're in hospital?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2014, 06:33 PM
Re: Compression Stockings after hysterectomy

I had ones in the hospital that pumped up and down periodically until they removed my cath and I was able to get out of bed
Unread 08-12-2014, 07:42 PM

I had nylon like stockings on and then in the hospital I had my legs wrapped with inflatable things that would pulse. I was told to wear the nylon stockings 24/7 for two weeks. They lasted two days, I got tired of fighting to get them on and off to take a shower and constantly adjusting them. No one had said anything to me but six days later when my hubby had back surgery he had the same irritating nylon stockings. One of the nurses came in and felt his legs and feet under the blanket and flipped out - they had bunched up around his ankles and she said that if they did that they were cutting off ALL circulation. They'd bunch with him just laying in the bed so as soon as we got home they came off and never went back on. We decided the possibility of cutting off all circulation was worse than the slight possibility of getting a blood clot.

~Michele
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2014, 07:59 PM

Sounds like they're more of a pain to deal with than helping! I think they are good for when you first come out of surgery and your body is in the initial stage of healing so it is important to keep the blood flowing. But do they actually plug into something if they are "pulsing"?
Unread 08-12-2014, 09:12 PM

They measured my legs so that they would get some stockings as close to the measurements as possible. Unfortunately I am short so they were right up to the edge of my thighs... The toes seemed to get tangled too, so the nurses were always twisting them for me. I had the pulsating things on until they took the cath out on day 3. Then I wore the stockings for 2 more days in the hospital and took them off when I went home. So it was 5 days. I still have them....
Unread 08-12-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewerMe View Post
Sounds like they're more of a pain to deal with than helping! I think they are good for when you first come out of surgery and your body is in the initial stage of healing so it is important to keep the blood flowing. But do they actually plug into something if they are "pulsing"?
Yes, they were plugged into an air compressor unit at the end of my bed. I only had them on for about two hours because I wanted to get up and move so the nurse wasn't very happy with me. The 'air' stockings weren't too irritating, the nylon stockings were though. They didn't breathe so my legs got hot and sweaty, then they'd itch. I remember the nurse in the recovery putting them on and I never really opened my eyes down there but she must have arms the size of a thigh, unless they have a trick that no one told us about. My hubby and I both had the same size stocking so they definately didn't measure either of our legs, his legs are a LOT bigger than mine!

~Michele
Unread 08-13-2014, 06:08 AM

They put tube socks on me in the pre-op area and then the compression stockings over those. The stockings weren't plugged in at that time. Once I was in my room, they plugged the stockings into an air compression unit at the foot of my bed, just like Michele. My stockings were very thick so there was no shifting or bunching. They stayed in place, and once I was able to get up on my own, the nurse took them off. Some people find that constant light squeezing annoying but it didn't bother me.
Unread 08-13-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewerMe View Post
The stockings themselves don't have any fancy electronics built in. The "compression" factor comes from the material they're knitted from. They're not as stretchy and forgiven as the legs of a pair of pantyhose would be.

In *addition* to the stockings, the nurses will wrap plastic sleeves around your legs. The sleeves are what pulse. They're hooked up to a electronic control box that makes them pulse.

I had a TAH with a three-day hospital stay. A nurse put the stockings on for me just before surgery. Those stockings stayed on until I was cleared for release! I was allowed to take them home but not told anything about being required to use them. I took them home, washed them out (gently) and stuck them in a drawer just in case of future needs.

The plastic sleeves seemed to appear whenever I was lying in bed for long periods, i.e., the evening after surgery and most of the next day. The first day after surgery, I did a lap around the ward in the morning, another lap in the evening, and spent a couple of really short periods sitting upright in an armchair. The rest of the time I was in bed. It seemed that anytime I was lying down for a while, a nurse would show up, wrap the plastic sleeves around my legs and get the pulsing going.

By the second day after surgery, I was out walking multiple laps around the ward. The rest of the time I sat upright in an armchair reading with my legs propped up on a footstool. Apparently this was enough activity that I didn't need the pulsing plastic thingies.
Unread 08-13-2014, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the great responses. I now have a good idea what to expect when I come out of surgery and am lying in a hospital bed recovering!

Always thinking positive......

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register