delicate question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

delicate question delicate question

Unread 03-26-2009, 04:49 PM
delicate question

After my LAVH, (also had ovaries removed) I had stitches in my vaginal area that were painful.
I went to get stitches removed, but the doc only removed the ones from my belly button. I asked about the ones "down there" and he never addressed it and left the room, never came back.
A couple of weeks later, I still had pain there.
I tried to look and noticed what looked like another incision below the vaginal opening. It had stitches in it.
He never told me about this and I still don't know what it was for.
The stitches seemed to have gone.
But has anyone else had an extra incision in that area?
Why will he not talk to me about it.
It is like the whole surgery is in a cloud of secrecy.
Also, right after the surgery I kept complaining of my shoulder feeling broken. That was the worst pain I had.
I told him about it....he ignored me. My mother was there and she witnessed this.
I am considering not even going to him for the final check-up.
Is there a way I can have access to my surgical records?
How can I find out what that extra incision down there was for? He refuses to answer any questions....All of this happened so fast....I thought I was prepared, but I have no idea what is going on or what happened to me.
I am wondering if that extra hole will seal up on it's own, or what is going on....Not something I can ask my friends.....
It is one of those embarrassing things. And as for him.
He brushes everything off like I am worthless.
Please someone help. I am worried about that extra incision and worried why I was not told.
p.s....I had a fibroid that was the size of a grapefruit. I was told it had doubled in size in a years time. I was not even told about it a year ago....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Re: delicate question

My hyst was abdominal, not vaginal, but I had a laparoscopic tubal ligation years ago, and was warned that I might have shoulder pain from the gas they use to inflate the abdomen. I didn't have that shoulder pain, but maybe that's what yours is.

As far as your medical records, I know that in California we have the right to see our records, but that might vary by state.
Unread 03-26-2009, 05:34 PM

Well the stitches that are below the vaginal opening are where he had to cut you to make more room for him to move, also known or called a episiotomy (sp?) (This is from what I read, I had a abdominal)

The pain in your shoulder is prolly from the gas they used to inflate your belly( so they could see more during your op )
I had a tubal done in 08 and had the gas, it moved it's way into my shoulder! Bad pain!!

You have a right to see your records, you can request a copy at your DR office.

As for your Doc. Get rid of him, anyone Dr that does not take time to answer questions and take the time YOU need, is not worth your money! Find a new one! (IMO)

Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2009, 05:49 PM

i had that bad shoulder pain after my lsh..its from the lap gas. it was very very painful. i dont know what the extra cut is. it sounds like your dr isnt making time for you..try to find a dr who will. there are plenty out there that treat people nicely.
Unread 03-26-2009, 06:22 PM

That makes sense about the gas and the shoulder pain.
I do not understand why he refused to talk about the episiotomy. I had no idea what it was or why I had stitches there.
It scared me not knowing and I had not found this website yet.
It really bothered me that he did not tell me. That is my main problem with him. He does not want to communicate at all.
I have found a new doctor. I have half a mind not to go to the last post op visit with him...but I need to think about that.
Thank you so much for all of your help.
It was very stressful not knowing.
Unread 03-26-2009, 06:32 PM

Hi
I agree with the episiotomy suggestion. That was my first thought and yes they can be very painful. Tucks pads in the refrigerator are very soothing, so is sitting on a donut (or inflated pool tube).
As far as your medical records they should be available to you. You may be charged a nominal per page charge. Ask your doctors office or the hospital for your surgical report. It will tell you all that was done. While your at it ask for your pathology report. These are your records and you are entitled to them, unless your state has different laws than most in the US have.
Shoulder pain could be from trapped gas or intra-operative positioning.
Sorry your doctor is treating you poorly. Unless you really feel strongly about not seeing him again. It would be best to finish up with him and get your post-surgical clearance then inform him you will be replacing him. Other doctors may get the wrong idea if you drop him prior to surgical clearance and they won't want to pick up someone else's work.
Good luck
Unread 03-26-2009, 06:47 PM

Sometimes it helps to take a notepad full of questions you want answered.
At your last appt. ask him straight up what the stitches were for. He is not above you in any way, he's just a guy who happens to be a doc. Don't take him not answering as an option...If you need to, follow him into his office until you get what you came for. And yes, the shoulder pain was most likely gas. It is very common to present in that area.
Unread 03-26-2009, 06:53 PM

Great answer Kristin, just made me think of one addition. Try to have your pants on when you speak with him, or wear a really long top/dress. I hate having important conversations sitting half naked wearing paper. Good luck.
Unread 03-26-2009, 07:15 PM

I had my gallbladder removed via lap and remember that shoulder pain oh too well. I found Phaisime or gas XX to be a godsend.
I have also found that writing all of my questions out before hand and bringing them to the Dr to be helpful. I bring the paper with me and write the answers down as I get them. That way I don't forget because of nerves, and the Dr. knows I am taking his/her answers seriously. I have had good luck with this technique and hope it works for you!
Unread 03-26-2009, 07:48 PM

That is one thing I had not thought of. He did not seem to want to see me when I was dressed....just when I was on the table covered with the paper.
That makes me feel more insecure and gives him the option of running out when I can't catch him.
It makes me mad that I suffered through all of that because he did not tell me.
I will go on and do the final exam....but I will tell him that is it.
It is such a shame that a doctor will not communicate.
Especially about the episiotomy. That was scary to find that and have no idea what happened.
Thank you all for your help!!!
I am so relieved to have more knowledge.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register