Small Bowel Obstruction After Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Small Bowel Obstruction After Hysterectomy Small Bowel Obstruction After Hysterectomy

Unread 10-20-2005, 06:25 PM
Small Bowel Obstruction After Hysterectomy

I had my TAH/BSO on 9/22. On 10/2 I was re-admitted to the hospital for 6 additional nights for a small bowel obstruction. I was put on an NG tube and was scheduled for surgery later that week, but I was lucky to escape without needing additional surgery because at the last minute, the meds they gave me in the hospital seemed to work (started moving things along, if you know what I mean). I was given some meds to take at home to help me digest my food more easily. I am doing much better, but today at the doctor (the one for the bowel, not the surgeon for the hysterectomy) I mentioned that I have bouts of diarrhea combined with bouts of constipation and that I sometimes get really bad gas pains. He told me to come back in 2 months, but he still seems to be considering going back in laproscopically to see if the obstruction is still there (partial), since I still have some symptoms. I am really worried now that I am stopping all the meds cold turkey. I am almost afraid to eat. Has anyone else had this complication in the past? If so, how did it turn out for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2005, 06:43 PM

I didn't experience anything like this, but just wanted to offer up my thoughts and prayers to you! I am really sorry you are having to deal with this, and with your bowel obstruction I totally understand your fear of eating. I can only offer to say: drink lots of water, eat lots of raw roughage and perhaps add some prune to help with the BM's, and perhaps add a stool softner and if gas becomes a problem add some GAS X, and if things don't seem like they are moving along take some Milk of Magnesia. Take care!
Unread 10-20-2005, 07:10 PM

Hi Karen62,
We are twin hystersisters, the same thing happened to me. My hyst. was June 20th and 2 days after I came home I was readmitted and they thought they were going to have to operate again so I went 3 days without water or food(I didn't want to eat anyway but I did want to drink) It took them 3 days and 3 different tests for them to finally figure out what was wrong. The CT scan finally gave them the answer. I had a bowel obstruction, my bowels completely shut down. They put me on two different antibiotics at once and 24 hours later I was out of the woods and they knew I wouldn't need an operation They kept me for another 3 days because they wanted to see if I could eat regular food again. You talk about being afraid to eat!!! My bowels took over a month to get back to normal but I seem to be fine now. I do watch what I eat and use Gas X when I eat something that I shouldn't have but all in all I can tell things are slowly getting back to normal. I hope you don't need to be operated on again. I know that it must be unnerving to think of the possibility. If you want to pm me you can. Here is a for my twin sister.
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2005, 08:29 PM

Debbie,

Thanks for your reply. I am not happy you suffered the same way I did , but I am happy to know I am not alone in this. I am just really nervous now that I have stopped the meds, because what if they were all that was keeping me going (so to speak)? I am just waiting to see if I feel nauseous again, but I have to keep a positive attitude that this is all over and I am on the road to a full recovery, same as you. The only good thing that came out of this is I lost 7 lbs., but I think I need to gain a few of those back to get back to normal again. I have plenty of Gas-X on hand (I have a history of irritable bowel) so I should be all set. The doc told me no laxatives, because they can cause fluid build up in the small intestines, which is where my blockage was. He said a Fleets enema only if necessary, hopefully not.

Just curious, was your return to work delayed because of this. My doc is saying it probably will be delayed by another week or two.

Thanks again for the positive outlook.

Karen
Unread 10-20-2005, 08:42 PM

Karen,
I can totally understand the apprehension of being out of medication because for me the pain of the bowel obstruction was far worse than the pain of the hyst. Can you get more medication if you need it? Try not to wait until you are out to ask if you can have more. I hope that you can get some. I don't have to work but I can see how that complication would make your return to work longer. I would definitely follow your dr. recommendation on that one. I will be thinking about you and hoping that things get better soon. Let me know.
Debbie
Unread 10-20-2005, 08:59 PM

Debbie,
It isn't pain medication I am stopping ( I stopped these two days after surgery). I was on a drug that is a pro-kinetic agent which helps the digestive system work. I took that 1/2 hour before every meal and at bedtime. I was also on Prevacid to stop any nausea and/or acid reflux from happening. Now that I am stopping both (doc wants to see how I do naturally) I am worried things will come to a halt and I will end up back in the hospital. I am sure it is just paranoia on my part and I am going to keep a positive attitude that everything will be fine. Thanks so much for you good thoughts. I'll let you know how I make out.

Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register