Upcoming hysterectomy: Anyone else feel exhausted pre-surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy: Anyone else feel exhausted pre-surgery? Upcoming hysterectomy: Anyone else feel exhausted pre-surgery?

Unread 10-22-2016, 02:09 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy: Anyone else feel exhausted pre-surgery?

Hi all
I am 57 post menopausal and scheduled for my surgery on Nov. 28th but the on and off fatigue is driving me bananas!! I have a fibroid and uterine polyp I have not had heavy bleeding since July when I was in the ER. I had a D&C with endometrial biopsy last month and have had some spotting since but nothing major. Blood test and iron levels have all been normal so far.

I realize some women go through this to an extent after menopause but I've always been able to push through it. Lately I feel like I'm dragging myself through the day.

So two questions: What can I do to get through this pre-surgery?
and other than the initial recovery please tell me I'll have MORE energy because right now I feel about 20 years older than I am!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2016, 03:27 PM
Re: Anyone else feel exhausted pre-surgery?

Hi there, and congrats on having a date scheduled and no bleeding!

I am about your age, but was still having periods, and hemorrhaging every other month and dangerously anemic. I have (oooh, HAD!!!!) several gargantuan fibroids (more found during surgery than suspected) and a very enlarged uterus. I was put on progesterone then Megace to keep the bleeding stopped, and to allow me to get my hemoglobin up (I was at a 7), which had to be done before we could even schedule surgery. It took six weeks to get the hemoglobin up, and then they couldn't get me in for surgery for another six weeks.

I was of course exhausted when anemic, and when my hemoglobin was up to an 11, my doc asked me if I had more energy. My mouth dropped open and in a horrified voice I told her no! I was still exhausted. I attribute it to the fibroids which have to take energy to grow, as well as the stress the whole mess was putting on my body. I was also not sleeping well due to the stress, and being uncomfortable, so I am sure it was all part of it.

I have to say the first several weeks post op I felt great, so much better from the moment I came out of the anesthesia! While I was in the hospital I was walking at least a mile daily, and the last day three. I came home with lots of energy, but about 11am I would need a nap, and that need would hit like a brick wall, almost like I had to lie down immediately. Then about 11pm the same thing. But otherwise felt great!

Then about week four the physical stuff started to ease up and fatigue set in. It was like overdoing it shifted from making me pay for it with more swelly belly and heaviness, to being tired. Other sisters said the same thing. So as much as I would like to tell you there is no fatigue, I won't lie. For me that is my biggest battle right now, but very well managed if I don't push myself too far.

I would suggest that right now you listen to your body and rest as much as you are able, so that you are going into surgery feeling as good as you can. Right after surgery stay out of pain and rest, but walk if you feel like you can, and for me a BIG energy booster was to shower as soon as I was allowed. I used my med pump liberally, and was feeling good enough to transition to oral meds very quickly, and was off the narcotics by about one week, rarely even needing Advil by then. I was off of everything by day 10, with the exception of a preventative Advil if I knew I was going to be out of the house longer than usual, etc. For me, staying in bed too long just made the fatigue worse, so watch that.

Now this is just my experience, everyone IS different (you will get tired of hearing this), as are each of our pre-surgery conditions, type of surgery, etc. Your body will tell you what you need. Be really patient, it does take time to recover. My doc said for everything to fully heal inside, it generally takes three months, and even longer for our hormones to regulate. I am not a patient person, so I remind myself of that frequently.

Best of luck on your surgery, and can't wait for you to be on the other side!
Unread 10-22-2016, 07:31 PM
Re: Anyone else feel exhausted pre-surgery?

Rosie above just shared wonderful experience.

And yes she is right - you will hear the phrase "we all recover differently" in your sleep after a while

I too was so exhausted before my surgery. I had a very difficult natural menopause. But the fatigue I experienced the month before my surgery was truly unbelievable. In my case, my huge twisted fibroids were pressing on all my organs and totally causing internal havoc. These fibroids were pressing heavily on my bladder which kept me up all night as a bonus.

If there is any way you can rest more prior to your surgery, that would help. Even cutting back a bit on non-essential activities can help ease your fatigue and stress. Try to "schedule" time for yourself to pursue activities you enjoy - reading, online shopping, outings with friends...any activities that relax you mentally will help your physical fatigue.

I was a very slow healer but the fatigue eased up after my surgery. I felt so much better knowing those alien fibroids were gone from my body - that alone gave me peace of mind and helped me sleep.

Hugs and hang in there. Take good care of yourself now. Try yoga, meditation, fun things that you've put off doing. Make time for yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2016, 03:46 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy: Anyone else feel exhausted pre-surgery?

Thank you ladies. It's just good to know I'm somewhat normal. LOL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register