Hys and Plastic Surgery 2/22/01 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hys and Plastic Surgery 2/22/01 Hys and Plastic Surgery 2/22/01

Unread 02-21-2001, 07:25 AM
Hys and Plastic Surgery 2/22/01

Oh, I wish I had found this board site sooner. I am soooooo nervous about my surgery(s) tomorrow, yet excited about this new chapter in my life. I have had fibryoid tumors for ever, heavy bleeding that was irregular, and pain that required medication. At 35, I felt I was too young to start taking hormones, but then I found out that if I keep my ovaries, I might be able to prolong the need for that.

Being the hopeful romantic that I am, I guess that I thought one day I might remarry and have other children, so the death of my uterus has caused me some sadness, but to combat that sadness, I have decided to do some body enhancements.

I have consulted with a plastic surgeon for a number of months, and after consultation between he and my GYN, I have made the decision to have an abdominoplasty with liposuction immediately following my hyst procedure. My GYN, Dr. Catherine Reese, will perform my hyst under epidural with a light iv anesthesia that will allow me to be somewhat there(smile). After she has finished, my plastic surgeon, Dr. Tristan Stonger, will begin my abdominoplasty. Three babies and I have lost the elasticity of the skin in front of the muscles and we are going to correct that and give me a new belly button.

Additionally, I am having my hips done which is usually done at the same time. I am told that having an abdominoplasty at the same time as my hyst can be good and can be bad as well. Good that it can be done with the same incision and require one less operation, also as I had c-sections with the children, we can remove any previous scar tissue as we are removing a portion of unneeded skin, and a plastic surgeon is trained in the art of trying to bring skin back to an attractive state and masking scars. The bad I have been made aware of is the possibility of blood clots, nerve damage, puncture of organs, and improper healing of incisions. I feel comfortable with both of my physicians to decide that this was a risk I was willing to take. However, I urge anyone who is considering this to please have the doctors checked out, especially the plastic surgeon. Make sure this is his specialty.

Well, I am off to a day of beauty (pedicure, manicure, facial, etc.)- I would hate for some handsome anesthesiologist to see my toe nails looking rough(smile). Gosh, I am so scared, excited, anxious, happy, sad, nervous, and a thousand other feelings. I have taken my before picture and when I have my after pic, I will post them.

I am so happy to know this forum exists. Please say a pray for me as I say one for all of you. Hope to check back in soon!

A Love 4 Me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2001, 07:30 AM
Nail Polish

Hi there,
I think I read somewhere that nail polish is a big no-no in surgery. Ladies, is this correct?
Unread 02-21-2001, 07:41 AM

Kelly, I was just going to post that same opinion myself. Nail polish on either finger or toenails is not allowed. This is so that the medical staff can see the colours of your nails, indicating your oxygen levels to the extremeties.

So, do get the pedicure and manicure, but leave off the polish!

Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2001, 08:41 AM

I had my TAH on 1/11/01. I had my toes and nails done. Also had polish put on (red).

When the nurse called from the hospital to discuss any questions, I brought this up. She said that it was ok to leave my polish on. She said that they have other ways to determine if circulation is impared. So I left it on.

I would ask your doctor and/or hospital what they suggest.

Take care and good luck

Jerry
Unread 02-21-2001, 09:18 AM

I wish you all the best in your upcoming procedures. I too am schedule for a TAH BSO and Abdiminoplasty. I am 52 tomorrow and I know the anxiety you are feeling. I too am aware of the risks but feel confident of my doctors. I will say prayers for you. Keep Smiling.
Jan5
Unread 02-21-2001, 11:54 AM

Hello!

WaaaaWaaaa I wanted my tummy done too! LOL!
I have been joking with the sisters about tummy tucks and liposuction being a necessary addition to us ladies in the castle!!
You took it all the way! Good for you!
I agree on the nail polish thing with the other girls though. You didn't say polish you said manicure though so it sounds like you will get the pampering without the polish!
My instructions were no makeup, hair clips, jewelry, nailpolish and no food or drink after midnight, wash with antibacterial soap in morning before going to hospital.
EEEEk!
Anyway good luck and
(((hugs)))
Susan
LIW 2/27/01 8:30am EST
Unread 02-21-2001, 12:18 PM
NAIL POLISH

I have my natural nails and keep them polished all the time. I had them done before surgery, it wasn't a problem. I do realize the pulse ox meter can't always register properly with polish on your fingernails, but it is up to your physician to tell you.

They can take the polish off of one nail and read it, so take your polish and a remover pad (in case). It is nice to have the polish you want on hand for the days of recovery. I always buy the favorites, from my nail tech...so I can touch up if needed.

God's blessings to all of you,
Queena
Unread 02-21-2001, 12:37 PM
Nail polish

I've always been told not to wear any nail polish, but my mother has had two abdominal surgeries where they allowed her not only to keep her nail polish on, but her acrylic nails as well!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register