Hospital called - surgery time and other stuff! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hospital called - surgery time and other stuff! Hospital called - surgery time and other stuff!

Unread 03-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Hospital called - surgery time and other stuff!

Hello all!

The hospital called and I have to be at the hospital at 11:00 am for a 12:30 pm surgery.

The interesting part was they want me to shower the night before AND morning before with anti-bacterial soap. (I'll try not to take that one personally - lol.) I can put any product in my hair that I want, wear lotion anywhere except my abdomen, and also wear clear nail polish AND deodorant!!! WOOHOO!

She said no makeup but mainly talked about eye makeup because they put something on your corneas to lubricate them and you wake up looking like a raccoon. That was the only reason!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2009, 01:19 PM

Hi Abbey

I had to shower the night before and the morning of with anti-bacterial soap as well. In fact, that's one of the questions they asked me when I got to the hospital, so it must be important. I was relieved that I could wear deodorant. It's nice to be able to do some small things that help you feel like your regular self.

It's nice to have those final details. Now you can use the weekend to begin to

Take care!
Unread 03-20-2009, 01:25 PM

It is very important to shower the night before & morning of with the anti-bacterial soap. It can really prevent an infection. Best wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2009, 01:37 PM

That's odd - they just told me to shower either the night before or the morning of surgery - no mention of anti-bacterial soap!

I wish my time was a little later - being there at 5:30 AM is way to early - especially since I have an hour + drive.

I also didn't mention in my post - that I am not to wear make-up or nail polish - except that a french polish would have been alright (I removed my nails). Toenail polish (french) is fine - and I just had a pedicure today!
Unread 03-20-2009, 01:59 PM

It depends on your hospital /MD. I did the scrub twice, the RN told me their infection rate from normal skin bacteria is way down with this simple thing. With all I was worried about- the skin prep was the easy part! Best wishes to you- REST this weekend.
Unread 03-20-2009, 01:59 PM

i had to be at the hospital at 5:15....but as i did not sleep at all the night before i was glad.. i too was told to take a shower and wear no makeup....

they didn't mention antibacterial soap though.....

so far i don't think i am infected but i have been in plenty of pain.....

hugs and good luck on your surgery,
jamesgirl
Unread 03-20-2009, 07:48 PM

Just follow instructions and things go smoothly. There are different practices, for different reasons. Questioning them is quite pointless.

I would recommend not putting any product in your hair. This way you have clean hair the longest. Dealing with washing your hair etc a day or two after surgery is not great. If you have long hair, low ponytail is the easiest. They will give you that fancy hat anyway, so who cares.
Unread 03-20-2009, 07:52 PM

I was told to use a special antibacterial scrub product,one side was sponge and the other was a brush, that they gave me during pre-op. I think it is what medical professionals use to clean their hands before being in surgery. Was to use it the night before and the morning of.

Asked my daughter-in-law who is an RN why no nail polish and she said it has to do with getting an accurate reading of the oxygen in the blood from the clip they put on your finger.

I know that the 5:30 or so time seems so early, but you are done sooner and are ready to go home sooner.

RATH 2/13/09
endometerial cancer 1C stage 2
radiation beginning 3/23
Unread 03-20-2009, 08:47 PM

I agree with not putting anything in your hair. You may not feel like washing it until about day 3. The less you have to do the better just to be safe. & yes the nails they used for blood-presser.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register