6 days and nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 days and nervous 6 days and nervous

Unread 11-14-2003, 09:47 PM
6 days and nervous

Hello to all! I haven't been to this site since May when I found out that I would be having surgery...I had to re-register because I had changed email and forgotten my password info. Anyway, I am six days away from what Dr says will "have everything as it once was before childbirth..." Do I dare to believe him? I have prolapse in front, back, and all spaces in between, haha! I just assumed that the joy of this thing called "prolapse" was just a part of having childbirth and aging. Now I'll be getting an overall internal "lift and separate" job, and I am nervous as !@#$

I have been eagerly researching and questioning since May. But now that I am 6 days from H-day, it's as if I have forgotten everything I've read. I think it's time to break out the anxiety meds. I'm glad this site is available. In fact, I just replaced my laptop last week, so I can have internet access easily from my recovery bed. I need to get my "Hyster Sisters" book out again, and I've already got my pillow. I am going to rent the bedside table and the wedge pillow-thing from the medical supply. I've told all my family and friends that they can't make me laugh for a couple of days...I don't think that's possible for me.

Other that the list in the book, does anyone have any "Eleventh hour" suggestions. I am so anxious, and now I have the weekend work-free the think...

6 days and counting,
Mel-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2003, 04:37 AM
6 days and nervous

Hi Mel,

My surgery is also on 11/20, and I've had a long wait as well. My surgery was scheduled in July, and since that time I've spent a lot of time reading and preparing for it. My pre-op is Monday, and I think I'll feel better then. I have many questions to ask. In July, the doctor told me he'd try to do this vaginally, but I'll have a better idea after my pre-op visit, when he'll do another exam to see what's going on now. I also don't know what to expect as far as "prep" before surgery. I am a teacher, and my current plans are to work on Wednesday. I am very close to one of my classes, and we've decided to order in pizza for lunch and each bring a dessert. Unfortunately, at about 4:00 this morning I woke and realized I probably will have a liquid diet that day!

I don't have any magical advice other than to take care of the things you can beforehand...and just let the others wait for you. My DH is a great help, so most things can be done by him or the children. I just want all the bills paid (that's my job), the groceries stocked, and at least one clean, comfortable, quiet space for me to spend the first few days of my recovery. I've taken care of all of that (except a few last minute incidentals...like more milk, more bread, more Gas-X!), so I feel pretty good about where I stand from home.

My biggest worry is whether my students will behave while they have a substitute, whether the work I leave for them will be enough, and whether I'll be able to get everything graded in a timely fashion whilst I am recovering. I will have to have all my grades back in before I return to work because the semester grades are due before my four weeks leave will be over.

Feel free to send me a PM or email. Good luck to you!
Unread 11-15-2003, 11:40 AM
Teacher, too!

I think my biggist worry is probably my students' behavior. My family is supportive, my husban, his mother and my mother have all worked out a system for assisting me. The house is clean "enough", I do have laundry to put away today, and my bedroom has internet access, a color tv/dvd player and a stereo. "My space" is ready.

My students are a different story. I teach 3rd grade. I have 14 students, low numbers do to learning and behavior issues in my class (by design). They are in the perfect place for learning and social adjustment when I am there. But I will be out next Thursday and Friday before Thanksgiving week, and out the three weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas Break. That is PRIME TIME for behavior issues under normal circumstances. My substitute is familiar with my class, so I have some comfort in knowing that, at least. Some of my ESL ladies rely on me a lot at times, so they were moping around like sad little puppies Friday.

The pressure over testing in Texas is so great, I almost feel guilty about missing this much time. But I have waited long enough! I really needed a break. I don't know if getting a hysterectomy and reconstruction would be considered a break, but I'll take it.

My prayers are with all Sisters and their speedy healing and recovery!

Thanks for your reply,
Mel-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2003, 03:34 PM
6 days and nervous

I am a teacher, too. I have 5 more days of work and that is where the pressure is coming from right now. Things at home are pretty organized but there is so much to do to get things ready for my students. And, I will worry about them while I am gone!

However, once I finish work next Friday I will have lots of free time to worry about the surgery! Not good!

Best wishes to everyone for your advice and help!
Unread 11-16-2003, 05:32 PM
hey teachers

tsister, i am a teacher and have surgery on the 24th as well!
i posted a while ago and asked how teachers would tell their students about their leave. i teach high school and the biggest worry so far has been my class. i think it is also the lose of control. one can't help but feel a loss with all this surgery crap going on. i would go to school each day and just try to forget and most days forge through and feel ok. i would feed off of the kids' energy. i am nervous to leave them. i think they will be fine because i have hired a good sub.
good luck with your surgery! and everyone else who posted to this post and will be having surgery soon.
just look at it this way...if you were like me you scheduled to have this done at this time because it would be a relatively short amount of time away from your kids. it could be a solid six weeks!

i asked people to list things to take to the castle and things to have for after. have you seen the post? i too will buy the wedge. they also say to have stuff out of cupboards so that it is waist high. stool softners or fiber is good too.
good luck!
Unread 11-16-2003, 06:15 PM
6 days and nervous

Hi cmghag
I think for us teachers loss of control while we are gone is a big deal. I guess it is probably true for everyone. Checking into a hospital is frightening to me - it is a huge loss of control!

I love all the suggestions I have gotten from this site. My mom had knee replacement surgery last summer and purchased a handled device that slipped under her mattress and helped her get in and out of bed. I am going to borrow it!

Best wishes to everyone. I am beginning to envy you princesses that have made it to the castle. Lets get this over with!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register