Surgery was May 13th, @ today is my first day back @ work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery was May 13th, @ today is my first day back @ work Surgery was May 13th, @ today is my first day back @ work

Unread 06-20-2005, 12:47 PM
Surgery was May 13th, @ today is my first day back @ work

I'm feeling really good, even after getting to sleep late. Had to take my husband to Nighttitme Pediatrics & adult care too, last night he broke his foot. So now he'll be out for about 3 to 6 weeks. I told him I guess he wants to be pampered now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2005, 01:30 PM

Hello, sbtaylor, I hope your first day back is a good one, just remember to take it easy and dont over do. I hope that your dh has a speedy and uneventful recovery. Carol
Unread 06-20-2005, 01:35 PM

Hi Sbtaylor!

Mine was May 13th too! I've been back to work since May 31st. Take your time and ease back in to things. You might feel a little out of sorts for the first few days but don't get discouraged. It'll get better.

You are never going to believe this, you mentioned your husband braking his foot - well, my boyfriend broke his back a week ago and now he is down for 6-8 weeks - guess mine wanted to be pampered too!!!!

Hope that you had a good first day back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2005, 05:45 PM

Hi sbtaylor;

Good luck!! I'm interested in knowing how it goes.

Just got home from my 6 week check up and return to work tomorrow. Just for precautionary measures my Dr ordered part days for the remainder of this week but agreed that I could work longer if I felt up to it. A little nervous about immediately returning to a full day after a leisurely recovery

What type of surgery did you have?
Unread 06-20-2005, 06:31 PM

Gosh you guys seem to be going back early! My surgery was on May 9th and today my doc said that if the other doctors agree, he will allow me to return to work on the 27th and that I am to work no more than 4 hours a day for 2 weeks, then move into full time again.

I still have 2 doctor appointments to go thru this week, but I can already tell my boss isn't happy about my returning part time. She thinks that I need to return to work today and be full time period.

I plan on taking my supporting paperwork to HR and have a discussion with them.

I do worry about going back full time right now because I work in a 4 story building which seems to always have broken elevators. My office is on the first floor, and everyone I work with is on the 4th floor as are our conference rooms, lunch room, and restrooms. I just don't know about having to climb stairs all the time right now, heck I get worn out on my husband day off when we have to run errands (Seems like that takes all day long). Once I wear out, I start hurting and swelling.
Unread 06-20-2005, 07:10 PM

Hi Kelly;

Recovery is an individual thing...some take longer than others. Based on a number of factors I figured I'd be back up and almost fully operational after two weeks but much to my surprise I'm six weeks out and still recovering. I think I underestimated the surgery and overestimated my recuperative powers!

My surgeon stated the recovery period was 6 to 8 weeks for a TAH. Ever the optimist I figured 6 weeks max and that was being generous. I figured I was going back full time tomorrow until my surgeon asked me how I felt about it. I stated I was a little nervous due to the fact that I get achey and tired after long stretches, like an hour, of doing anything (including sitting!). I was also a little concerned about the additional stress being added. She suggested that I go back part days for the first few and she agreed that I could work longer if I felt up to it. To go from complete at home recovery mode to full time working mode is going to be quite the challenge even under the best circumstances.

Don't get too discouraged as your well being is obviously a priority of your Dr's which is a good thing! Better to heed to their advice than risk a set back. GOOD LUCK!!
Unread 06-21-2005, 07:23 AM

hi essbee,
I agree that recovery is a very individual journey, I have read so many variations on surgery types, hospital and doctor styles, as well as ease and length of recovery.

You better described how I am feeling than I could!

I hope that when you return to work, everything goes smoothly!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register