Endometrial biopsy with vacuum, I'm scared... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endometrial biopsy with vacuum, I'm scared... Endometrial biopsy with vacuum, I'm scared...

Unread 04-13-2015, 09:42 PM
Endometrial biopsy with vacuum, I'm scared...

And this isn't even the surgery! I was told to take 800 mg of ibuprofen before I come. I'm hearing stories from just a bit of cramping to never hope to do that again. The nurse said he's up there five minutes n and then I sit for 15. I have no idea what to expect. Why don't they do this when they do surgery. Please, anyone have info. I'm praying. I know God doesn't give us fear. I've had three little ones but this has me worried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2015, 10:55 PM

Hi Our3Blessings,

I had that same procedure done 3 years ago when my gynecologist was looking into my extremely heavy, long term bleeding.

I did a lot of research on endometrial biopsies prior to having mine, & found the same thing you did; some women feel it's not bad, just a little uncomfortable. Others find it excruciating. I honestly believe that the issues you may or may not be having with your uterus or cervix play a part in how uncomfortable the procedure is... but that's just my personal opinion. I also think that Dr's advise patients to take varying amounts of advil, & that this plays a part in the amount of discomfort as well. For me, it was extremely uncomfortable. I was advised to take 2 to 4 advil (400 to 800mg) prior to the biopsy. They allowed my husband to be present, & I found this comforting. They had me lie still for 15 min after completing the biopsy, & I experienced cramping that diminished over the 15 minutes. I spotted for about 5 days afterwards, & my gyn told me that was "within normal".

For me, the biopsy was done due to concerns there may be cancerous cells ( there were not). So, even though it was very uncomfortable, I would definitely not hesitate to have it done again if it were to rule out such an important finding.

Take deep breaths, & hang in there. The scariest part of the biopsy is the time period leading up to it. Keep in mind that a uterine biopsy is a quick procedure, so even if you find it uncomfortable, it is only uncomfortable for a very short time. I hope it goes very well for you, & that you are one of those women who find it just a little uncomfortable.
Unread 04-14-2015, 03:43 AM
Re: Endometrial biopsy with vacuum, I'm scared...

Mine was uncomfortable, because my cervix did not want to open. That said though, it only hurt while she was doing it, and it only took a few minutes. As soon as she was done, I felt fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2015, 07:14 PM

Thank you all!! I survived. It was uncomfortable for those three minutes and now I'm Judy achy. I did need to take Motrin and Tylenol for a bit. Still a bit sore. Glad it's over.
Unread 04-19-2015, 11:02 AM

I'm glad yours is over. I've had this done twice and both times took 800 mg of Motrin and 2 Percocet!! I highly recommend this! No pain!! I am 5 days after this procedure and it brought on a full fledged period (still bleeding despite having a period a week before...I have adenomyosis) and I had intense cramping for about 48-72 hours afterwards. I go for my pre op appt. (I'm getting a hysterectomy soon) tomorrow and will hopefully get the results.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register