my dr didn't give me any info, i have questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

my dr didn't give me any info, i have questions my dr didn't give me any info, i have questions

Unread 01-10-2013, 07:28 AM
my dr didn't give me any info, i have questions

My doctor did not tell me what to expect or advice me in any way after my last appointment. I saw him at 3 weeks and he said I don't need to come back. Super quick and he was gone.

I still have my ovaries, what does that mean for me? Does that mean I am still going through menopause? I am having all the crazy symptoms that the rest of you are. Like insomnia and night sweats. I thought since I had ovaries that I would still have the hormones. Also, do I still ovulate? I just want to know whats going on with my body and what to expect.
And I'm still hurting at 5 weeks. I'm guessing that's normal too. I'm sure having bronchitis didn't help.
Thanks,
kris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Re: my dr didn't give me any info, i have questions

Lets see if I can answer your questions....

I still have my ovaries, what does that mean for me?

It means that they may or may not work depending on if the blood supply to them was disrupted. You may or may not experience some symptoms of menopause until they start working again. Or it may mean that you feel just fine and have no issues. No one can tell in advance.

Does that mean I am still going through menopause? I am having all the crazy symptoms that the rest of you are. Like insomnia and night sweats. I thought since I had ovaries that I would still have the hormones.

This usually means that the blood supply to your ovaries has definitely been disrupted. It might take some time for it to get reestablished if it ever does. This diagram explains how the blood supply to the uterus and ovaries can differ for various women. According to the info in the diagram, 56% of women have their ovaries get their blood supply from both the uterine and ovarian arteries. 40% of women have the blood supply come from the ovarian artery only and 4% get the blood supply to their ovary from the uterine artery only. During surgery, the uterine artery is cut so you can see how the blood supply gets disrupted. For the 4% that have only the uterine artery providing the blood supply, it would logically seem that if that blood supply gets cut off, then the ovary would stop functioning. And for the other 56%, it would take time for the ovary to get used to have only part of its blood supply. I would assume that the 40% would be the ones feeling the least of the effects. I am not a doctor but I think that my assumptions make sense when one views the diagram. I hope this helps.

Also, do I still ovulate?

Yes, if your ovaries don't shut down because of the blood supply disruption, you should still be ovulating in the future until you go through natural menopause.
Unread 01-11-2013, 07:00 AM

Thank you! That does explain a lot.
Kris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2013, 11:07 AM

I am with you koalbish on not recieving much information from my doctor. I have my 6 week checkup next week and I will be addressing my concerns with my doc then. I also have my ovaries and have been experiencing menopausal symptoms including hot flashes which come on so suddenly that my husband thinks its funny to watch me start stripping my clothes off because I am just so bloody hot. Or I go through cold flashes where I can be fully dressed under a blanket and still feel cold. Its nuts!
Unread 01-11-2013, 12:24 PM

moonej,
Let me know what your doc has to say. I hope you get more info than I did.
Kris
Unread 01-11-2013, 08:09 PM

Ladies, I kept my ovaries and in the months immediately following my TLH, I experienced all of the symptoms you described. My wonderful dr explained that the blood supply does get disrupted and depending on your body you may find it takes time for your ovaries to "kick back into gear". She also told me that once this happened I would still ovulate, and would experience PMS symptoms once a month. This happens with regularity now, it's funny and odd to crave chocolate and salt, yell at my husband and burst into tears without the physical proof that it is hormonal LOL. However, during the other three weeks out of the month things have evened out and I feel fantastic. No more night sweats, thank goodness! It is a tough time, there is a lot of info out there and truly this site is a lifesaver. Good luck to you, give it time and you will find out where you stand with the ovulation issue.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register