To stay or not to stay | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To stay or not to stay To stay or not to stay

Unread 10-21-2009, 12:19 PM
To stay or not to stay

I am 3 weeks away from my LAVH. I am only 25 years old and have a 3.5 year old and a 2 year old at home. My doc said that I can be released that day if I am feeling up to it after my surgery. I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of staying. One of the big pros for me right now is I know I will not be interrupted in the middle of the night by any little kids. What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Re: To stay or not to stay

I would stay!!! Although for some reason at the hospital they seem to come in all night to take vitals or something but at least you won't have to get up.

I had TAH so it was required that I stay for 2 days and I am so glad I did. You don't know how your pain will be after surgery and they can get it under control for you. Now some people may say to go home because less risk of infection at home. I just know that I needed the nurses there with me to help with pain.

Good luck with your decision and your surgery.
Unread 10-21-2009, 12:25 PM

I am having a LAVH as well. I have a 6 year old and a 3 year old at home so my doctor is encouraging me to stay 2 nights. She said once I go home the kids are going to want to be all over me and such. I know this is true since I had surgery in July as well. They did not bother me, they just wanted to give me kisses and see how I was feeling. I would just worry since yours are still pretty young that they might jump on you or the bed, etc. The con of being in the hospital overnight is as you said being woken up all night long. The plus side of that is you get better pain meds in the hospital should you be in a lot of pain. I know for me vicodin does nothing to help my pain so I am going to want something stronger than that. I would probably stay one night just take make sure you are on the right path towards recovery. If you get home and are in too much pain do you have to go to ER to be treated, etc. That would suck. Do you have to decide before your surgery or can you make up your mind when you are in recovery depending on how you feel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2009, 12:37 PM

Hi KJMA, For me getting on the right pain med. is what kept me at the hosp for a second night. That is so important ... in the hosp. is the best place to make sure what they have you on is effective for your body especially with little ones!
***I hope you have support for when you go home you have to "pamper the princess" in order to recover properly. Have a smooth journey and keep us posted!!!
Unread 10-21-2009, 12:43 PM

PS Ladies, I also had terrible itching w/ codine based pain meds so Dr. sent me home w/ Dilaudid.
Unread 10-21-2009, 12:46 PM

I would stay to get the pain under control & to make sure you are recovering. It seemed to me once I was home I was on my own pretty much & you can only take the pain medication that they give you. I would make sure you are up to being home.
Unread 10-21-2009, 02:37 PM

I would stay. You will need the rest and be out of it from the pain meds. Stay, get your barrings together so you kids see you together, not in pain or loopy. If the doctor is offers, stay. I was comfortable but out of it the day and night of my surgery but I also had a TAH. Good luck.
Unread 10-21-2009, 03:34 PM

Thank you ladies for all of the great advice. I am leaning more towards staying. I will talk more about it with my doc at my pre-op visit. I do have both my in-laws coming in for 2 weeks to take care of the children while I am out of it.
Unread 10-21-2009, 03:58 PM

I had a TAH, had surgery on Friday morning, went home Sunday evening... I was begging to go home!! I have a 4 yr old (special needs) and a 9 yr old. I actually had my DH bring them up to the hospital most of sunday...My kids were really good about letting me recover. My youngest keeps saying "boo boo belly?" and then would poke me and laugh....he's a nut!! LOL... You dont have to make any decisions before surgery...just let things play out and see how you feel!
Good luck!
Unread 10-21-2009, 04:39 PM

Definitely stay hun.....hospitals suck but you will get the rest that you need and if there are any problems in the first few days you will get the care that you need right away. Your kids are really little and if you are at home you won't get the rest and they are too little to really understand that. The first few days are the hardest. Good luck with your decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register