Scheduled LAVH Pre-surgery feeling blah | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-surgery feeling blah Pre-surgery feeling blah

Unread 12-09-2015, 08:05 AM
Pre-surgery feeling blah

I had pain bad enough I went to ER. I have a cyst on my right ovary, an overgrowth on my left & fibroids so as you can imagine I was in a lot of pain. I have been prescribed Tramadrol as needed. I still have nausea but not as bad as before the trip to the ER. Anyone else experience this as well? What did you eat/drink to get by until your surgery? My surgery isn't until Jan 6th....along time to feel "blah."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2015, 07:36 PM
Re: Pre-surgery feeling blah

I am so sorry you are dealing with all this pain as it takes its toll on us both emotionally as well as physically.

Although I did not have to go to the ER, I too had huge twisted fibroids. In addition to being painful, These fibroids were pressing on my bladder - I too felt blah!

I was also prescribed Tramodol, which did take the edge off my pain. I also took Xanax on days that I wasn't coping "well".

Some days my appetite was better than others but I consciously tried to eat lighter more healthy meals as my surgery date approached. Try to avoid fatty foods, and drink as much water as you can now. Try to walk a bit every day if you can too.

Treat yourself to doing things you enjoy prior to surgery - be it shopping, reading, movies with friends, puzzles - whatever distracts you in a positive way. Stress is not healthy for anyone - so please treat yourself right!

Hugs and best of luck for an uneventful surgery and good recovery.
Unread 12-10-2015, 06:37 AM

Thanks for the tips, especially treating myself☺ Sometimes we forget to enjoy the good times.

I am still trying to work anyway up to my surgery date...my job makes me walk a lot, I am in food service at a hospital! I just try to take it day by day.

I have limited myself to one cup of coffee a day & then water the rest of the day except milk at my meals. I too am eating lighter meals & non greasy foods as much as possible.

Only 27 more days to go....i can do this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2015, 01:05 PM

If you can do any core exercises to get that area strong I recommend it. Having a strong core helps with getting in and out of bed, etc. Avoid foods pre surgery that can cause gas.
Unread 12-10-2015, 02:42 PM
Pre-surgery feeling blah

My experience has been different. Anytime I push myself I have a bad night and the next day is often spent in bed and on Hydrocodone. Pushing myself now can mean walking only a half mile, or vacuuming the house, or too many loads of laundry. It doesn't take much.

I'd take it easy even now. Eating healthy is always good, but have some treats too (who knows how long it might take to eat normally after surgery!). Don't push yourself to far. If doing something during the day makes you have an awful night or even whole next day too, avoid those activities as much as possible. Enlist family and/or friends to help. If you can afford it, hire a cleaning lady once or twice a month to do the hard stuff. Don't do things all at once. Spread activities (yes even if it's just a load or two of laundry) throughout the day. Rest in between. Laying flat helps me, sitting or standing too long intensifies the pain. Tell yourself how sick you really are (your about to have an organ removed!) and take it easy on yourself. Let others help you. Most people think THEY have to be the ones to do everything pre-op, and end up practically killing themselves in the process due to pain an symptoms. You're sick. It's ok to do what you need to do to make it through the next few weeks, and then post-op of course!

Hope these suggestions help some to make pre-op a little less painful.

ETA: Oh! I forgot a very helpful tip. Do whatever it takes to keep your bowel movements regular. Backed up bowels or passing hard stools can make the pain worse! Taking a dose of Miralax once a day or every other day can work wonders. (Obviously don't use it if you tend towards runny stools, that could hurt you.) Eat lots off fibrous fresh fruits, veggies, and whole grains. Drink water until you feel water logged. Seriously! If your thirsty drink a glass of water first, then enjoy your non alcoholic beverage of choice (alcohol dehydrates.)
Unread 12-10-2015, 04:46 PM

I agree with K33. My surgery date is January 19 and I really hope I can last that long. I find if I do to much even now that I am exhausted in the evening and just want to crawl into bed but then I cant sleep. I don't have pain per say but overall discomfort and a weird twingy feeling on my right side- probably a cyst or the cantaloupe size fibroid is pushing everything else around. I am ready to move on and past this. Hope your pain subsides soon and best of luck to you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register