Help, what is wrong and what should I do! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help, what is wrong and what should I do! Help, what is wrong and what should I do!

Unread 11-25-2005, 08:04 AM
Help, what is wrong and what should I do!

I am 11 days post-op (TVH) and was doing very well. went to Thanksgiving dinner , came home and started not to feel well.I was and am very nauseaus, and having really bad abdominal pain on my right side-its under my ribs. I also am very constipated and have lots of gas. I was very constipated and had gas right after surgery but it cleared up in a few days.I was able to go tosleep but got up during the night and stayed up with alot of pain. I feel like alkmost going to the ER but I do not want to rush there for nothing or have them think I am silly. Could this have anything to do with my hysterectomy? Anyone ever experienced this- I do not know what to do but I sure do not feel well- almost flu=like without the flu.. Help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2005, 08:21 AM
If it keeps up

by all means go to the ER. Better safe than sorry. I would tend to want to see my own doctor though. Just because I trust him and am only treated like a nuisance in my ER experience.

Nobody can and would diagnose you here. I can only say what has happened to me. After my c-section 12 years ago, I used to get horrible attacks of gastritis. All that fatty food from a Thanksgiving meal could certainly bring it on.
Unread 11-25-2005, 08:41 AM

nka123,

I would suggest you call your doctor, and if he is not in, go to the ER. I am not trying to scare you, but a little over a week from my hysterectomy, I had a small bowel obstruction. I had a TAH; however, and I think this is more common with that than with a TVH, because they need to move the bowels out of the way during a TAH, and it is thought that my small intestine kinked during the surgery. There is also something called an "ileus" in which the small intestine becomes paralyzed after abdominal surgery, which results in abdominal pain and nausea (which they originally thought I had). If you are passing gas, that is a very good sign (Iwas unable to pass any gas with my obstruction). Don't do what I did. I waited three days with tons of pain and nausea before going to the ER, and I was severely dehydrated by the time I went. I had to be admitted for a full week on IV fluids, etc. to get better. Other sisters have had gall bladder problems after their surgeries, which usually made them sick and in pain after eating fatty meals. Of course, your pain may be due to neither, but if you are in enough pain to keep you awake, go to a doctor to be sure it is nothing serious.

I hope you feel better soon.

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2005, 08:54 AM

You should have it checked out. I too have the same symptoms. I was told it was from the constipation and gas. I use gas X and colace(a stool softener) which helps. However, that was me and I did go have it checked out too. You should do the same to put your mind at ease. Hope things are okay with you. Let us know.
Unread 11-25-2005, 08:59 AM

I had the same described pain oave a month post-op that sent me to the ER. I never had pain like that! They gave me pepsid prior to morphine, did blood tests and urine analysis and everything came back negative. The final diagnosis was unknown, but they said it could have been gastritis. The pepsid not only settled my stomach because the morphine causes nausia, but apparently it helped the pain. they gave me a RX for pepsid and I've used it once since the trip to the er when I had the same symptoms. I too was concerned that it had something to do with the hysterecotmy. My Gyn was gone for the day and my GP said get to the ER. My advice would be to go to the ER and get whatever they can give you to releive the pain. You won't be able to manage the pain at home. Good luck and God bless. I hope you feel well soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register