4 days to go until TAH/BSO-have some questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 days to go until TAH/BSO-have some questions 4 days to go until TAH/BSO-have some questions

Unread 01-11-2004, 09:39 PM
4 days to go until TAH/BSO-have some questions

Well it is almost here and I am getting nervous. I have all the cupboards stocked with food, all the laundry is done, all the baby sitters in place, my DH has arranged his work schedule, my job has a temp for 8 weeks, neighbors and church friends all in place to shuttle the kiddies back and forth to school and do errands until I can drive, everyone is ready except for ME! I am looking forward to this bleeding and paid to be gone. It seems like I have had a cyst burst every month for the last 4 months and boy oh boy does that hurt. I hate hospitals! I really don't anyone who likes them. I haven't been in the hospital for a year and a half. But for awhile I was in every 3 months for blood filtering, muscle and lung biposys and flushing of the system because of Lupus. This should be easy. At least I am not going in sick like all the other times. The lupus is at bay pretty good right now without steroids. But my questions to all you brave and wonderful sisters is...what is the first couple of weeks like? Could a couple of you please let me know what is was like the first couple of weeks home from the castle. I would so much appreciate it. I have surgery Friday the 16th. Thank you all soooo much!
Deb
dddtrinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2004, 09:49 PM

Have a "huggie pillow" to hold against your ab in case you sneeze or cough, sleep as much as possible, do as little as possible, rest, rest, rest, drink lots of fluids, very loose sweats or button down/zipper down the front sleep shirts ( so you don't have to lift anything over your head) - the only thing you need to do is pamper yourself in every way possible. Glad to hear you are going to have alot of help. Good luck to you.
Unread 01-11-2004, 09:52 PM

Hi Deb,

Wow, are you organized! It sounds like you have a great support team in place..and that will make your first few weeks easier because you'll be able to concentrate on YOU!! Let everyone pamper you, and make sure you pamper yourself!

We all have different experiences, that's for sure. As for me, well, I had a wonderful recovery. Yes, there was pain during the first few weeks - and the hideous constipation demon came to toy with me, but all in all---I count myself lucky for the wonderful recovery I had.

One word of caution...Lots of Princesses start doing physical work too soon because they think they're moving along really well. While you may be feeling pretty darned good, that doesn't mean you need to carry the trash out or run to the store for 'just a couple of things'.

Please remember everything you read here..Don't overdo !!

Holly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2004, 04:44 AM

Wow are you prepared!!! Your home organization pre op most certainly will help in those first few weeks post op. I am 10 days post op TAH/BSO, and can't really add to your home preparation, but like to add a couple of things you may want to think about before the big day related to your hospital stay. My biggest fear was waking up from anesthesia with nausea and vomiting. My nurse anesthetist friend recommended I speak with the anesthesiologist regarding this, and he/she could give me something interoperatively for this, which he did, and I experienced neither. Also, between those circulatory inflators likely you will have on your legs post op, the hospital noises, etc., it is very hard to get uninterupted sleep during your stay, so do as much resting now as you can as well as eating a good nutritious diet and lots of clear fluids to hydrate your body before hand which really aids in the healing process. Also, and I had to request this since I have a history of bronchitis, if you are given an inspiratory spirometer to use to maintain good lung function use it faithfully. This device really helps eliminate the potential for developing post op pneumonia since it is so painful to cough and deep breath to keep your lungs clear. Best of luck and we are all rooting for you!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register