sore tummy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-20-2005, 06:21 PM
sore tummy

I am 2 1/2 weeks post op from a TAH and today my tummy has been so so sore to the touch I can hardly stand it. Clothes hurt and nothing seems to be taking away the pain.
Any ideas why and how long this will last??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2005, 06:30 PM
sore tummy

Hi, Becky
I will be 6 weeks post-op TAH/BSO on Tuesday. My belly is still sore to the touch and numb between my navel and incision. My doctor tells me that this can be expected for several months. My sister had a TAH 12 years ago and to this day has a numb area on her belly..she says she doesn't even really notice any more. I can tell you that, although my abdomen is tender to touch, it is so much better today than it was 3 weeks ago. It takes a while!!
Jo
Unread 03-20-2005, 10:29 PM
Me Too

This may sound awful, but I'm almost glad to hear it. I have been 'resting', but also have done a lot of bending. Light bending, like stuff the kids leave on the floor, and I'm home for five hours and can't stand looking at it!! Or homework issues that sent me up and down the stairs too many times too early in week one.

I was so proud I was able to shower myself, day two, but now I'm thinking I may have overdone it.

I still can't stand up straight without much effort, and am in a good deal of discomfort (if not pain). I still can't 'scrape' the sticky bandage residue off the right side of my navel, because it hurts soo much. I had a large cantaloupe sized cyst and ovary taken.

I'm a rather modest person, who has never slept in the nude, but 'no underwear' is a treat for me.

Are you able to walk? I can walk for a little bit - but I'm afraid to push it.

I read these posts about people working out at two weeks and feel like my recovery isn't going as well as I thought.

I have resolved myself to not BEND again for at least another few days. But I do want to do 'some' walking...how about you??

Cynthia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2005, 10:57 PM
sore tummy

Hi,Cynthia
You are only 2 weeks post-op! It sounds as if you are expecting so much of yourself. At 2 weeks, I was walking...around the house and to the mailbox and back! You may be overdoing it if you are climbing stairs frequently and caring for little ones. At 3 weeks, I was still using pain medication at night due to abdominal pain. I was very careful not to bend often or lift over 10lbs for the first 3 weeks. We all do heal at different rates, but I don't know of many who are exercising vigorously at 2 weeks!
I can tell you that today, at almost 6 weeks, I no longer need medication, am walking about 3 miles daily without discomfort and am very glad that I didn't overdo it the first few weeks. I still have some abdominal tenderness but it is manageable.
Do you have help at home? If so, now is the time to rest and heal. Btw, the adhesive can be removed easily with baby oil, as long as you don't get the oil on any incisional areas.
Good luck to you!
Unread 03-21-2005, 09:00 AM
sore tummy

Thanks ladies, it is so nice to know I am not alone!
I too have 4 small children so up, down and all around has been a part of my recovery since the 1st day out of the hospital.
I try to not bend too much, but again, sometimes I don't have a choice.
I read the post of the 2 weekers that are doing so well and it makes me sad! I KNOW it is not suppose to, but it does.
I am such a busy body and self proclaimed clean freak that this has been the hardest thing I have had to go through thus far. (The staying down)
Thank you so much for your posts, those days I can't stop crying and just wish someone knew what I was feeling, it is nice to know this is here and there are many of you!
Any other suggestions will still be great!
Loves
Unread 03-21-2005, 10:15 AM
sore tummy

Becky,

I have the same feeling on my abdomen.. i described it to my DH as if I had been rubbed with sandpaper.... everything irrates it.. even underwear. I gave up, put on a long robe and nothing else, and rubbed lotion on. Seemed to help a little.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register